Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: did you prove your doctor wrong w a MRI?  (Read 732 times)

Offline CRAZYRUNNER19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
did you prove your doctor wrong w a MRI?
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:55:05 AM »
Everyone keeps telling me a MRI will be a waste of money. Well I'm not sure where to go since I have been to several medical professionals and they don't think anything is "serious" with my knee. I've done everything they have told me to do and rest and kept up w strength, roll, stretching, bla bla. It's been 9 months and I feel like I'm getting no where. I debating on MRI, but they say it's going to be a waste. I tore my ACL on the other knee 15 years ago and went back in the soccer game and played. The next day I couldn't straighten my leg so I sought help. I don't think I tore my ACL, but maybe there is something going on here and I just get injured strange. I would just like to hear if your doc didn't think a MRI was needed and if you proved them wrong.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 74
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: did you prove your doctor wrong w a MRI?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
Hi There,

I have had 3 MRI scans over an 11 year period 2003, 2009 and 2014. The 1st two MRI scans did not really show any potential problems with my right knee that always been a problem on and off throughout my life. 1st one mentioned a low lying patella and the 2nd one mentioned the fat pad as a potential problem but not enough to operate.

I ended up having an exploratory in November 2009 as I was getting pinching pain at the bottom of my right kneecap that ended up being an inflamed fat pad and medial plica. The plica was reduced in size and medial plica completely removed.

My latest and 3rd MRI was revealed bruising inside the kneecap that could be a torn meniscus.  I am having an exploratory scope done in July, my OS has pre-warned me saying that he may find nothing wrong inside my right knee once inside with the camera.

I think he has to say this as a standard practice when doing an exploratory to warn the patient surgery might reveal nothing inconclusive. I have early signs of wear in my right knee and may need to have a microfracture performed.

All 3 of my MRI scans under different OSís all saying cannot see much wrong on my MRI or was hard to spot on my 3rd MRI due to swelling and bruising inside the knee that can dull the MRI images.

Each MRI got worse with more problems, MRI scan 1 nothing really showed up, 2nd fat pad was not too happy and inflamed with some fluid around it. The 3rd MRI showed up a lot more this time round. I am certain surgery for me will not be wasted as I unable to run since January 2013 with pain and swelling at bottom of right kneecap.

It might be good to put your mind at ease to get an MRI scan done, a good radiologist will spot the slightest or smallest problem inside the knee that may be minor for an OS as they thought with my 2nd MRI would go in for an exploratory scope for nothing! I woke up after surgery and was told had to had my medial plica removed and my fat pad trimmed.

Like I said even if your MRI came up reasonably ok they can miss out potential problems inside the knee that would be picked up while the OS does an exploratory scope. They will always say may not find a problem inside the knee to cover them.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming