Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: deep sharp pain in vmo area when cycling/ running for 9 months of getting help!  (Read 1687 times)

Offline CRAZYRUNNER19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help! It has been about 9 months. I've been to 3 sports med docs, a chiro/ART guy, sports massage person, and 2 therapists. 3 weeks before my Ironman I was tapering and running down hill. I felt a sharp jolt of pain lateral/ top of my knee. I stopped and walked. thought it might be IT, but it went under my knee cap and by the time I walked home I was in stable and the pain was upper medial. I did the Ironman and a bruise showed on the knee cap. I wore a sleeve the entire time which helped with instability. I've went to several professionals and could never get a final answer. Most of them said over use and one said Plica syndrome, but I don't get snapping. I've also heard that it was a muscle imbalance thing or weak glutes. I refuse to believe this. I've been lifting for 9 months and went from 55 single leg press to 100 pounds. I work my glutes like crazy along with everything else.  I have religiously been lifting at least 3 days a week for a hour. I've taken 6 weeks rest and things got better. My Pt had me back to running, but I felt something was lingering. I backed off on the bike and started increasing my time again on the bike w 10% rule and rest after every 3rd week. It seems cycling aggravates the vmo area but not sure if it's knee or muscle. I have a deep pain in vmo area when cycling. I don't have to be going hard for it to act up either. It's a sharp piercing pain and sometimes it burns, but it's usually not constant. It has never hurt to do stairs and is sometimes hard to duplicate. I hate this! I've seemed to try everything and every time I think I'm going fwd it reacts bad. I don't think it's runners knee because I've had that before and it's not something I can run through like my PT wanted me to. It stops me in my tracks! I'm so frustrated. They all told me I would waste my money if I did MRI and I have high deductible. I don't know what else to try. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about cortisone again, but don't want to cause further damage. I also had x rays and doc said they looked good as far as arthritis
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:17:35 PM by CRAZYRUNNER19, Reason: forgot to add detail »

Offline MrPlicaProblem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
For what it's worth, I have been diagnosed with plica syndrome and your symptoms sound very similar to mine. Can you feel any buildup to the left of the knee cap in the medial area or any swelling tightness in the supra patellar region? Before beginning PT I had these symptoms in addition to bruising behind the knee cap. I remember hitting my knee cap on a desk by accident very lightly and getting shooting pain throughout the knee.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:38:44 AM by MrPlicaProblem »

Offline MrPlicaProblem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Also, I figured I'd add that my problem initially manifested entirely in the VMO area. My VMO was completely screwed up and extremely tight. Initially I thought the problem was entirely with the VMO.

Offline CRAZYRUNNER19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
did ur issue ever go away? I've been curious if it's really plica. I just got cortisone and keep working on strength training. I'm scared it will come back :(

support