Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 9 weeks froml femoral osteotomy and still pain  (Read 2682 times)

Offline jzzlvr13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
9 weeks froml femoral osteotomy and still pain
« on: February 03, 2004, 05:35:07 PM »
I had my second femoral osteotomy on Nov 26th. I am no longer using
crutches or brace and muscles around the knee seem pretty strong. I am still having quite a lot of pain when walking and it doesn't seem to be getting much better...more stable feeling but still painful. Should I begin some walking to strengthen knee or go back to crutches and give it a rest. I believe I used the crutches longer last year but can't really remember. I'm getting very tired of the pain and being indoors all the time. Thanks in advance
59yo...osteo both knees
femoral osteotomy right leg 2002
femoral osteotomy left leg 2003
straight legs...blown right knee
TKR in future..how near..who knows???
But will keep on keepin' on

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: 9 weeks froml femoral osteotomy and still pain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 03:57:44 AM »
Have you talked to your doctor?  Have you had an x-ray of the surgical site?  I've heard that sometimes it takes longer than thought for the bone break to heal--that could explain pain.  So could scar tissue, tendinitis, continued swelling, and so on.  Your doctor is the best bet.  I would think that 2 months post-op it would not be unusually to have pain from a surgical fracture, but your doctor should be involved to track your case.

Best of luck

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline jzzlvr13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 05:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have an appointment next Thursday and  I'll talk to him then. The incision point has never given me any pain, just the knee. It's getting more localized (pain) and feeling a bit more stabile. I think it will be OK. I'm going to try to walk a bit on Sunday...just a little ways but you got to start sometime.
Thanks again,
Barbara
59yo...osteo both knees

Offline gimp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 05:22:42 PM »
I agree with Heather.  Before changing any activities I would try to see your doctor.  A couple quick x-rays should confirm that the bone is healing properly.  

Although I still had some pain 9 weeks out from my HTO, it certainly was not as severe as you describe.  

Good luck!
31 years old; ACL Recon @27; 25% Meniscus removed @29, Some OA and varus deformation.  HTO Closing wedge 10/8/03

Offline jzzlvr13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 06:40:33 PM »
 I might have overstated the pain level. The problem is I have equal pain in both knee. I had an osteotomy on my right knee a year ago and although it help the planting of my foot (I over pronated horribly) it didn't take the pain away. I will probably have to have a TKR on that knee in the fairly near future. The left knee has more cartilage left and was totally straightened by the operation and I am waiting to have a lessening of the pain in at least one leg. I might be a bit impatient. If only on leg hurts when I walk it will be easier for me to take.
One good thing is coming from the pain. I have been on a diet for almost three week and have lost 8 pounds...and have found that pain is a terrific motivator!
I am going to wait on a replacement of my right knee until I hopefully lose a fair amount of weight and get my left leg to as optimal a condition as I'm going to get out of it. Wish me luck!
Thanks again,
b
59yo...osteo both knees

support