Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Awaiting knee arthroscopy and TTT  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Vickie.91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Awaiting knee arthroscopy and TTT
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
Just wondering for people in England on average how long have you had to wait for the above procedures? I know how long is a piece of strong but an average would be great! I've had to give up my nursing degree for now after dislocating my patellar the 5th time (previous dislocation and subluxations). I've finally been diagnosed with hypermobility and I just want this surgery so I can get back to my course and the gym!
5 dislocations/subluxations.
Joint Hypermobility Syndrome
Kneecap instability/malalignment
Awaiting knee arthroscopy and Tibial tubercle transfer.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Awaiting knee arthroscopy and TTT
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »
Hi Vickie,

It depends what part of the UK you live in some towns and cities you maybe lucky, or are going to be unlucky, the size of the hospital, how many OSís work there. Larger cities like Birmingham where I live there are more OSís, with more influx of patients.

Smaller cities like Ipswich were my sister works as an orthopaedic nurse there are less OSís that is less populated. It can take around the same time as larger UK cities. I have had 1 scope so far in 2009 and a 2nd one is booked on my right knee in July for an exploratory scope.

Up to 18 weeks is the maximum waiting time to have a standard knee surgery procedure. In 2009 I saw my OS at pre op clinic in mid July; I had had my surgery mid November, so waited 4 months in total or 16 weeks.

I saw my OS in March at pre op clinic; I chose 18/07/14 for my knee surgery, so I can finish of my college exams and academic year. Hopefully I will be fit again for start of new academic year in September 2014.

Another option if you ok about short notice is to ask the hospital if you can be put on the cancellation list incase a patient has to propone their surgery. This often happens if the patient has a cold, flu or the norovirus etc a few days before surgery.

I hope you can get your TTT done ASAP as nursing is a valued and appreciated job. I am studying and training to become a Ďresidential care support workerí for children with special needs. I hope to get my right knee sorted out properly before finding full time employment.

Good luck with your surgery.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Vickie.91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply really appreciate it!  :)

I've chased up my hospital (cambridge) and i've got a preassessment booked and have been put on the cancellation list so fingers crossed I won't be waiting too long! I want this surgery before I go back as it actually happened in a patient's room, my worst nightmare! It also happens when I simply walk, no impact or twisting required so I am extremely paranoid about it coming out..

Good lucky with your surgery and training!  :)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »
Hi,
I too am awaiting a Tto, and also a mpfl reconstruction, I was refered from a community hospital into main hospital for the procedure as the community hospital does not have X-ray in theatre, I was told within 18 weeks is standard practice, as hospitals get fined if it goes over the 18 weeks, but iv contacted my os secretary and she said it would be July for my op, which is over my 18 weeks because unfortunately for me my os has one of the longest waitings, but he's supposed to be really go so hopefully he's worth waiting for, Iv been placed on cancelation list so fingers crossed one comes up,
I am a dental nurse and I'm constantly up and downstairs all day with patients, mine came out of place too whilst dealing with a patient, i know how ur feeling it does make u paranoid about it happening again, iv been in one of thoughts tubi grip bandages since August when I was originally refered into the orthopaedic dept at the hospital, and it does seem to help with the support, the problem I have is I can feel all the crunching and grinding inside my knee but unfortunately the bandage doesn't help this, maybe you should try a tubi grip bandage to make you feel more comfortable and supported short term until ur op :)
Fingers crossed for cancellation appointments for us all xx
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Hi All,

All 3 of us are in similar job roles that involves making sure people are ok in situation that are not always pleasant. I hope you can both get you surgeries done soon, getting back to full fitness again, to be able to do your job roles without being in too much pain and discomfort.

I have good and bad days some days think maybe I do not need the exploratory scope and other days I am walking around like a lame duck. My right hip is starting to become problem, hopefully it is only due to my right knee injury, that may require a microfracture surgery. I did fall heavy onto my hip on black ice and right knee in January 2013, hope hip pain resolves by it self.

July is a good time to have surgery as you at least got nice warm sunshine to recover after surgery, or could have the coldest summer on record, this would not surprise me after one of the hottest summer on record last year summer.

I find stairs at times a problem as I work helping out at a charity shop, the shop has very steep stairs going up and down to store rooms when donation come into the shop.

Good luck to all of us with out surgeries coming up, I am ok till the actual morning of the surgery as it does make me nervous as soon as I step into the hospital and know I am going to have surgery in a few hours time.

As I booked over 18 weeks before my surgery and the hospital knows that I have Asperger's I will be the 1st patient going into theatre. This will reduce my anxiety and stress levels that a common fact of autism. Just get me knocked out and get it over and done with would be the ideal scenario.

[email protected]

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Vickie.91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
My dad bought me a knee brace that keeps your kneecap stable but not as restrictive as the straight knee braces they give you when it dislocates so I'm hobbling around with that and crutches... it makes me feel very safe, I know I shouldn't rely on it but I am going to use it to get about until my surgery as I won't be doing much until then! Let me know how you both get on!