Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Loose screw after MPFL surgery - is this malpractice ?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline elainefish09

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Loose screw after MPFL surgery - is this malpractice ?
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »
I had my MPFL surgery 2 yrs ago and I noticed cyst in my right side of the knee. I went to the doctor and had my knee xrayed 2x, MRI and then they sent me back to the same doctor who operated me and he explained to me that it was the screw that got loosen. He said that this is not dangerous especially I do not feel any pain because of it but ofcourse I want it to be taken out since it should not be there moving around my knee. I asked my doctor if my knee disclocation problem will be back again and he said it would only time will tell and he touched my knee and he said that he can feel that my kneecap is loose. Anyone out there experienced this? Is this likely to happen or this is doctor malpractice?

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
Re: Loose screw after MPFL surgery - is this malpractice ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »

Not sure about the malpractice question, but I would think that a loose screw would have no bearing on the stability of your knee cap two years after your surgery. Your graft should heal within 2-3 months of your surgery- after that time the screws aren't necessary (as many doctors use dissolving screws).

I had MPFL surgery two months ago, and at that time my OS removed undissolved sutures from my other knee - he had performed a patella & quad tendon reconstruction five years back, and the sutures remained just under my skin. They were an inconvenience, and a simple arthroscopic procedure removed all eight of them.
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

support