Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Redness and pain on shin post ACL Reconstruction?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline mobkon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Redness and pain on shin post ACL Reconstruction?
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
Hey all -

Im about 3 weeks post-op from ACL reconstruction with my own hamstring graft. Things have been gradually getting better. Im now walking with just the brace and have slight pain around the knee when walking, but its tolerable. I also still have swelling around the knee and can only bend it 90 degrees, but am told it will all get better with time. Also, a good portion of my lower side of my leg is still numb.

Anyway, thats just some background information so you know where I am at. My main reason for posting is, when I saw the doctor 4 days post-op, he had me bend my leg for the first time. All was fine, but that night I developed major soreness and redness on my shin. It was hot to the touch. It didnt look swollen, but if I pushed on it, it would leave an imprint of my finger as if my skin was clay! Very strange. The pain of the blood rushing to that area whenever I stood was pretty unbearable. This all resided in about a weeks time and the redness is now about 85% gone.

Now, 2 1/2 weeks since this issue first developed, its still slightly red and sensitive. Its not really painful anymore, but its still hot to the touch. Also, if I put any type of ice pack on it, when I remove the ice pack theres all kinds of indentations left on my leg! Very weird. Also when I wear socks, the sock will leave an imprint.

Doctor said this was normal and its just blood from the surgery. But just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Like I said, it doesnt LOOK swollen compared to my other leg, but it most likely is slightly considering I can put imprints in the area and those imprints stay for a good 10 minutes before disappearing.

Odd situation...anyone else have this happen? How long before this went away?

Offline mobkon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Redness and pain on shin post ACL Reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
Geez, Im the only one!? Find that hard to believe! No one has heard of this?  ???

Anyway...that issue has now subsided a bunch, but its still there a small amount. I still dont have any feeling down a good portion of my shin due to nerve damage. The skin is also really dry where the numbness is on my shin. Anyone have that issue?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
Geez, Im the only one!? Find that hard to believe! No one has heard of this?  ???

Anyway...that issue has now subsided a bunch, but its still there a small amount. I still dont have any feeling down a good portion of my shin due to nerve damage. The skin is also really dry where the numbness is on my shin. Anyone have that issue?

Not had an ACL but the numb hing seems common from reading posts, they cut a nerve during the surgery I think, hence the numbness.  Don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but ask your doctor maybe?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
Not had an ACL but the numb hing seems common from reading posts, they cut a nerve during the surgery I think, hence the numbness.

Yes, this is expected - a branch of the saphenous nerve is cut during the surgery, which leads to the classic post-ACLr numb patch. I found one of the most bizarre parts of rehab was all the strange sensations as the nerve regenerated (these came a bit later).

This won't resolve quickly; the numb patch does get smaller over time (lots of time!) as the nerve regenerates, but most people end up with a permanent numb spot around the size of a quarter. Mine is quite a bit larger but I'm completely used to it, and it really doesn't bother me these days.

I didn't have exactly the same symptoms as you from the surgical haematoma, but I certainly had lots of swelling and a very colourful bruise that gradually made its way down my leg (at one point my calf and shin were both very yellow) as the blood drained out. I think it took two or three weeks for the bruise to reach my foot and then disappear.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support