Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Micro fracture NHS  (Read 431 times)

Offline davebadknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Micro fracture NHS
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Hi all, I went in for an arthroscopy and came out with micro fracture. The surgeon mentioned this prior to the operation but it was the first time I had heard the term and wasn't really informed about it.

Anyway, it's done now.

I have been given no physic programme, just NWB/as tolerated, crutches for 6 weeks and an appointment in 8 weeks. However, the internet is awash with exercise programmes, CPM machines, and well i'm feeling like I've had a poor deal.

Should i be doing anything to support my recovery or should i trust the surgeons advice?

Many thanks :)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Micro fracture NHS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
If nwb, the surgeon wants you to protect the site he just fixed so you probably shouldn't be doing much.   Where in the knee was the microfracture performed? Most knee surgeries have conservative rehab for the first couple of months, the knee needs to recover from its trauma

Typically, post op exercise for arthroscopy include heel slides, ankle pumps, straight leg raises and icing for swelling and pain

In the uk, cpm is rarely used other than for more major surgeries where getting back range of movement and avoiding scar tissue build up is especially key, usually in people with prior complications. 

If concerned, contact the surgeon but I would just do as instructed for 8 weeks and then physio can start.  You may want to discuss getting physio privately if you have the funds.

Your surgeon is the expert who knows your case, better to follow his instructions, but get in touch with him if questions.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up