Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Clicking feeling, knee fracture  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Bethknee11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Clicking feeling, knee fracture
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:21 AM »
I had an extremely bad knee fracture at the end of January, in lots of pieces. One of the worst the doc had seen.

Had my first official physo session a couple of days ago and managed to get my knee to about 70degrees. I had a go on the bike and it jarred as I was on it and pushed my leg waaaay past where it can go - at least 90degrees, maybe more! The pain was incredible, like I'd broken it again! But there was no swelling or pain after the initial jarring, so I think it's okay.

So now I've been practising bending my knee with the little exercises the physio gave me, and now there's a clicking feeling in my knee when it bends and straightens - not always, but it's pretty disconcerting! Does anyone have this same feeling? And bearing in mind how bad the fracture was, should I be worried? Also, what ROM should I be at do you think by now? I reckon it's about 75degrees at best.

Thanks in advance!
27/1/2014 skiing accident, smashed knee cap
31/1/2014 ORIF surgery, 6 pins, wire.
14/2/2014 2 week check - doctor said knee was in a 'million pieces"!
26/3/2014 first official physio session - 65 degrees ROM

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: Clicking feeling, knee fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
Hi Beth
I was very interested to read about your "clicking" in the knee.
I had a quad rupture on 21 January this year and although my rehab is going ok, I too have a clicking feeling when I bend and straighten my leg. What I do is place my finger on my knee cap when I bend and straighten my leg and I can feel it, although when my wife puts her finger on my knee she can feel nothing.
I am now 10 weeks post op and I have 90 degree ROM but only just and it is hard to push it any more.
I am back to see the OS next week, 8th April and I intend asking him about the "click".
If it helps you I will reply on this site with his explanation.
Where are you based ?, I am in the UK.
All the best and speedy recovery.
Regards
Tom

Offline Bethknee11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
My feeling is definitely similar to yours, I feel it most when I lift my leg in the air and bend it that way, as opposed to having my leg straight on the bed and bending it that way, if that makes sense!
Yeah I'd definitely like to hear what your doctor has to say :)
I saw a physio yesterday and she didn't seem too concerned,  but my knee wasn't really clicking at the time, but it is again now.
I broke my knee in Canada and I'm still here now but I'm from the Uk and going back there this weekend. I'm actually a bit nervous about being tansferred to another doctor to be honest but I'm hoping things will be okay.

All the best to you too, Beth

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
Hi Beth
Thank you for your reply.
Of course I will let you know what my OS says next week. My clicking is most noticeable when I stand up and put a little weight on my leg and then bend my knee, I can't actually hear it I just feel it with my fingers on my knee cap. I've been to the physio again this morning and she is slightly disappointed with my ROM because I only have about 85 ROM so I need to work on that before I return to her again next week. I hope your new doctor is ok and that it all works out for you.
Speak to you again soon.
Regards
Tom

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
Hi Beth
I mentioned to my OS about the slight clicking in my knee and he wasn't concerned at all, he gave no real reason for it. But to be honest I am the only one that can feel it and it is only slight.
Sorry I cannot be of any further help.
Good luck in your recovery.
Regards
Tom

Offline Bethknee11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
Hey, thanks again for your reply.

I eventually got to see a physio and he also wasn't concerned. He said it was probably because my cartlidge is no longer a smooth surface but as long as the clicking wasn't hurting it wouldn't be a problem right now, maybe in the future, but for now it's fine.

Regards, Beth

support