Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon issues.  (Read 618 times)

Offline Sariepie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon issues.
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
About 3 and a half years ago, I severed my patellar tendon by falling through a glass table (stupid, I know).
After having it surgically reattached, I went through the basic rehabilitation until I could walk and run again, and had basic strength in my legs again.

Lately, I find I am having some issues with random things. My knee constantly has little tweaks of pain or really bad discomfort when I do certain activities, or put much weight on that leg when bending my knees. If I put direct pressure onto the spot just below my knee cap it is uncomfortable and can be painful if there is too much pressure - like if I have to be directly on my knees. The uncomfortable feeling is almost like the feeling you get when you run your very cold hands under hot water.
I find that when attempting to wear heels, my knee feels stressed, and I can't usually stand to wear them for more than a few minutes at most. As well I feel the same bit of stress in my knee sometimes when driving, although not as severe.
I've attempted to do some of the strengthening exercises that I did while in my physiotherapy but found that my knee felt even more irritated after doing them than it did strengthened.

I tell you all of this because I am currently a roller skater on a roller derby team. I can skate and have no big issues with my knees yet, how ever I am incredibly scared to try and focus on more advanced skills because of my knee issues. I am also very afraid that if I take a hard enough fall on my right knee I may severely injure myself again. I've looked into knee braces but so far have not found one that gives me the right kind of support where I need it.

I am mostly interested in any advice you may have for me - whether it be a type of brace I could try, or more hopefully, any exercises that you think would help me to strengthen my knee to better help avoiding injury.

Thanks.

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
Re: Patellar tendon issues.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Hi there,

I haven't ruptured my tendon so I can't help much but I do battle with my healing my tendons.  What exercises are you doing that make it feel like it might be getting worse?

I would start strengthening your hips and hamstrings.  These exercises have been doing wonders for my tendons.  Having strong supporting muscles will take the stress away from the tendon.
On the floor do:

Clam shells
Hip Abductions
Glute bridges
straight leg lifts or quad flexing over a rolled towel.
Inner leg lifts

Do any of those aggravate it?  If not, keep doing them.  It might alleviate some issues
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

support