Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Small Tear in Quad Tendon: Heal with PT and Meds?  (Read 3094 times)

Offline lwac317

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Small Tear in Quad Tendon: Heal with PT and Meds?
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »
So I'm very new to this whole knee injury thing and would like the opinion of those that may have had a similar injury.

About three months ago I injured my knee simply stepping out of the shower. I didn't think much of it as there was no major trauma and I thought the pain would subside and go away in a few days. Little did I know, that I would end up having intermittent pain that has continued and gotten worse. My bad days are really bad where I can barely bend my leg at all, but then I weirdly have "normal" days where there is slight discomfort but overall not extremely painful.

MRI scans showed a small (2x3mm) interstitial tear in the distal quadriceps tendon. I'm 26 years old with a history of hyperthyroidism which I've heard might contribute to tendon weakness. The OS seemed to think that that wasn't important and also told me that the tear would heal on its own and just to avoid walking up stairs, prescribed PT (posed this as optional though) and anti-inflammatory meds. Most research I've seen shows that immobilization is required for full healing, so I'm getting a second opinion.

With possible tendon weakness from chronic illness, I'm just afraid of injuring it further. I'm trying to avoid any possibility of needing surgery in the future.

Has anyone had experience with a small tear healing solely with PT and meds? Or is immobilization for ~3-6 weeks more common for complete healing? Is it normal for a 26 yo to injure their quad tendon by solely stepping out of the shower? Am I being a baby about a 2x3mm tear and should just suck it up??

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Small Tear in Quad Tendon: Heal with PT and Meds?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
Iwac317. Most of us on this site have experienced more complete ruptures so it is better left to our moderator to speak to your personal situation .
  What I can say, categorically is that you are right to be concerned  and can by no means be termed a "baby".
You would do well to get a second opinion from an OS, but consider also consulting a PT with experience in this area as the OS , by definition deals with surgery!
 Good luck and keep on posting to broaden the range of this forum.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
Iwac317, I wasn't going to post because I wanted to see what my brothers and sister RPTers would comment.  I agree completely with Stewart... a 12 yo with this type of injury needs to have it completely evaluated/repaired so he can enjoy his life without repeated knee issues.  I have been eleven months coping with this injury and anticipate I will be doing specific PT to correct the resulting atrophy.  Spare your son this potential.... Bob

See my response below... Bob

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:37:41 PM by fishy, Reason: responded to wrong posting »

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
Iwac317, I wasn't going to post because I wanted to see what my brothers and sister RPTers would comment.  I agree completely with Stewart... a 26 yo with this type of injury needs to have it completely evaluated/repaired so he can enjoy his life without repeated knee issues.  I have been eleven months coping with this injury and anticipate I will be doing specific PT to correct the resulting atrophy.  Spare yourself the potiental.... Bob

Offline lwac317

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Hi Stuart, thanks for your response! I'm definitely looking forward to hearing from the moderator. It is so difficult to find good resources for this, but the ones that I have found have all consistently said to immobilize the knee as initial treatment rather than delving straight into PT. That's mainly what sparked me to get a second opinion. Plus, he, my OS#1, basically said PT wasn't necessary and that it should heal on its own, but it's been 3 months and the pain is getting worse not better. I'm trying avoid any possible future rupture.

@fishy, I think you might be referring to another post regarding a mother and her son, but I do agree also that they should seek proper treatment to avoid future injury since he's so young. I'm 26 and injured mine just taking a step. Not sure if someone my age commonly experiences these kinds of injuries either.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »
Hi Lwac317    - Welcome to the EPT webpage - would suggest that you inform yourself on this serious injury by reading some of the previous posts on this thread.

Also, click on the undermentioned webpage - there are quite a number of documents which I have compiled together with KneeGuru - well worth reading up.  ASK questions - endorse other posts - you must ensure that you see an Orthopeadic Consultant to get the correct diagnosis.

Where do you live?   Keep posting
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
Bob. Were you responding to Buffamazon?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline lwac317

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »
Hi John,

Your resources mostly cover a complete rupture. Is the small tear that I have considered a "partial rupture"?

Is three months into an injury like this too late for the immobilization treatment?

I live in San Diego and have my second opinion on Friday.

Many Thanks!
Laura

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »
Bob. Were you responding to Buffamazon?
Yes I was.  But I still completely agree with your response.  I was running but wanted to post before I got to the gym.  thanks for straightening me out.... now if only my back will straighten out after exercising....  lol  Bob

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »
Laura, not sure where the partial rupture is, but I know from having read this entire thread (laid up for at least 8 weeks with my ruptures) that partial tears can be difficult to heal and the longer the wait on treatment, the harder the treatment can be.  But, and I stress this, do not take it all from me.  I would think that this injury does not heal greatly on it's own.  The immobilization will take the continue stress off of the rupture and if three months have gone by, you might want to give the tendon a rest so that it can heal.  I remember several previous posters from a while ago who dealt with delayed treatment, and the tendon ends could become "spaghetti like".   So, like everyone will suggest, as the OS and PT and make sure they have an idea of what they are doing.  Just my two cents worth.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline lwac317

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your input! I'm definitely thinking the same thing as far as immobilizing. I'm afraid of it going too long without treatment for the reasons you mentioned (scarring with the potential of re-injuring in the future). We'll see what my second OS says. I'm at least hoping he gives me more answers than my initial one even if he tells me the same thing. I'm worried that I have the beginnings of tendon degeneration as I did relatively little to injure it. So that alone has made me a little paranoid about seeking proper treatment for it now. From reading all of the experiences with QTR on this site, I'm trying to avoid it at all costs!

Laura