Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Right mpfl with hamstring graft.  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Bebopnzulu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Right mpfl with hamstring graft.
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
I had my surgery 3/4/14.  They did a hamstring graft, pulling from behind my knee in the fold or crease... Not comfortable btw.  The MPFL was performed to stabilize my patella as I have severe laxity in all my ligaments of the knee as well as a meniscus tear to my medial at the anterior horn.
I've been experiencing severe pain off and on.  Still on pain meds and ibuprofen which have of course caused constipation.
I was given a 3 day nerve block which I was sent home with, parts of my leg were numb, however my knee still had severe pain.  After the removal of the nerve block below my knee to the top of my ankle is still numb/asleep.  I just feel a sort of pressure.  My ankle has swelled only on the inside, and bruised. 
My knee still has severe pain off and on and nothing I do seems to help. I'm not sleeping well at all.  My back is cramping up as well.
I would love to try and sleep on my side or stomach but each attempt brought me to tears from the pain.
I started PT this week, which brought on more soreness as expected, however I'm getting less sleep.  Any suggestions?  Starting to feel really down.  I'm suppose to have my left knee done in June..... Having second thoughts.

~~bebopnzulu~~
MPFL surgery, right knee with hamstring graft.
3/4/14

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Right mpfl with hamstring graft.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Try sleeping on your side with a cushion/pillow between your knees - this works wonders

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bebopnzulu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
I have tried with little success to sleep on my side with pillows, maybe I'm not using soft enough pillows or something I just get tons of pressure at mt incision sites when I've tried.  I have 5 incisions around my knee 2on top 1on either side and one behind my knee.
~~bebopnzulu~~
3/4/14

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:49:59 AM »

Unfortunately, I think your issues sleeping aren't uncommon after MPFL (or any knee) surgery. I had issues sleeping for weeks after my surgery - walking up numerous times per night. For the first few weeks I could only really sleep on my back. Sleeping on the side where my incisions are is actually usually still too sensitive seven weeks after surgery. I can sleep on on my other side if a pillow is in between my legs.

What can you do? I always made sure to line up my pain meds so I took them right before bed. I'd also make sure to ice my knee before going to sleep. Sometimes I felt better keeping my leg raised. But the truth is you wont be comfortable, and it's something you're going to have to deal with for a while. It's not any fun.. but it will get better.
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »
And ten years later still sleep with a cushion between two knees...

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bebopnzulu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the support.  I'm hoping with more motion will come better sleep. I was able to get about an hour on my left side last night that gave my back a break.  I ordered a muscle stick, it's a roller thing to help work out knots in your muscles and it helped my back some as well.

PT update-I'm at 45degrees and by the end of this week they want 60 degrees with heal slides.  I gave the quad flex fairly good, and the ankle pumps I'm about even with my left ankle, however it kills my right ankle.  I think I did something when I first used the crutches I lost my balance and my right leg was still numb but my foot twisted.  Since my leg is still swollen and bruised PT is convinced its from the surgery and so I need to give it time.

My ROM brace should be here soon!! Hopefully this will help with stability even if it is psychological.  I don't feel confident putting full weight on my knee yet.
 :)
~~bebopnzulu~~
3/4/14

Offline Bebopnzulu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:08:53 AM »
~ Update~  my brace arrived, took time to get it fitted as it dug into my incision ouch.  Thought I'd be more confident adding weight to my leg but with my lower half still numb I feel like I'm off balance and going to fall.  Time and practice will get me there I just need to remind myself of this.
No great improvements with ROM really bummed I'm working on it all the time.  I've been getting this strange feeling where my knee tightens up and doesn't feel like its going out but like its being pulled down and to the inside of my knee and it hurts for a while after like a stinging burning feeling.  Then the back of my knee hurts.  I'm going to ask PT about it in the morning.
Hope I have improvements to report tomorrow.

~~bebopnzulu~~
3/4/14

Offline Bebopnzulu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:33:29 AM »
A little update... I've returned to work however it has been extremely difficult and difficult.  I seem to have lost some of my ROM after being on my feet 7 hours a day.  Has anyone experienced this before? My dr has also said that he would like my ROM much further than I was at.  He wants me at full motion by the 23rd of May and if not he wants to put me under and force my knee to full ROM.  Has anyone experienced this?  My PT tried to force my knee 15 degrees and it caused me to go backwards and I lost 8 degrees of motion and have barely gotten back to 90.  However now it stiffens up after my exercises and I get severe pain and have difficult to walk.

I just keep trekking on and continue to work on my ROM and hope to gain further ROM and be able to handle walking my dog again and hope to go hiking again.

~~bebopnzulu~~
3/4/14

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
I'm  around 12 days after having mpfl surgery and I think sometimes it's about working with your knee than against it  I tried pushing my knee but next day my knee was like no to hard core exercise considering they say mpfl surgery is x2 painful  compared to a knee replacement it doesn't surprise me that sometimes the body will put itself into safety mode when we have done too much e.g tightness etc, my surgeon hasn't even given me a brace he justs lifted my leg and said you didn't need one ... Best thing for stiffness for me is the ice cooler for my knee that takes a lot of that away ..... Remember also for the new ligaments to attach can take between 6-8 weeks that's what the surgeon said to me I hope things get better for u

support