Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tenex FAST vs. open  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Zgoettsc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tenex FAST vs. open
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
Hello,

New member here. I am trying to get some advice on which procedure to undertake for my knee condition.

Facts: knee pain in the patellar tendon for 9 months. Localized mostly to where the tendon inserts on the tibia and slightly proximal to the insertion. I had osgood schlatters as a kid. I am 23 now. Went through an intense 9week PT program focusing on eccentric exercises. Diagnosis was patellar tendonitis. Also did ultrasound therapy and 6 rounds of iontophoresis. Nothing helped. Went back to the doc 5 days ago and they did an ultrasound. They found bony calcifications under the tendon on the tibia that were pushing up into the tendon. I wish I had pictures of the images he took, they made it super clear what the problem was. Anyway, he said that this was an uncommon place to find calcifications, that normally these calcifications are imbedded in the tendon. He said that this was no longer tendonitis and to stop the PT exercises because they were probably making it more inflamed rather than helping.

Options: the doc gave me three options. The first was do nothing and live with it. This is not an option for me. The pain is pretty intense throughout the day and I am sick of it. The second option was using an open surgery technique to expose where the calcifications are under the tendon and shave them away. The third option was to try the tenex FAST procedure.

My thoughts: I am in no way a fan of having open surgery if it can be avoided, but I am wondering if it is the best option in my situation. Everything I have read about the tenex FAST procedure says it is for soft tissue. I have serious doubts it can remove bony calcifications. Please let me know if I am mistaken. The last thing I want to do is get the tenex fAST procedure and have it not work and have to get the open surgery to finish the job. At least with the open surgery I know that they are capable of visualizing and removing the bony calcifications without issue.

Let me know what you guys think. It's a pretty major decision and I want to choose correctly.

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Tenex FAST vs. open
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »
I had Tenex FAST procedure last year.  It has improved my knee considerably but not cured it.  Its very simple procedure -no pain no swelling.  It will either help or it wont--extremely safe low risk procedure.  I would do that before ANY open or arthroscopic procedure which many times does more harm than good.

support