Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair advice...  (Read 505 times)

Offline type_grim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair advice...
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
Hi guys,

A little bit of background for you!

I blew my knee out at football last May. I ran into another player, hyper-extended my left knee, and was in severe pain!

Like an idiot, i didn't go to the doctors right way. I rested and iced my knee, the swelling went down and carried on life as usual.

Since the incident, my leg has given way three times during sporting activities.

I then decided something was really wrong!

I went to the doctors who referred me to an orthopaedic consultant who booked me in for an MRI (which i had in November 2013).

This proved that i'd ruptured my ACL and damaged the meniscus and so i was put on the waiting list for an ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair.

My operation day is this Thursday.

I was very active before my knee went; football once a week and cycling/spinning everyday.

I've not played football since the accident and i've only done a little light light cycling since my MRI as ordered by the consultant to keep the muscles strong.

My knee gets a 'dull ache' now and again, particularly when i've been on my feet all day (i work in an office) and i get a strange pain in the bottom of my left foot.

At this moment in time, my knee doesn't hurt at all. I have no confidence in it, though, and I certainly don't feel like i could run on it just yet. Given that it doesn't hurt any more, what's the likelihood that when it comes to the operation day, they turn around and say it has started to heal itself? Is that a possibility or once an ACL is torn, it's torn?

I'm not worried about the operation or anything, i'm just curious as to whether after all this wait, they could say that actually, the knee is healing?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Graham

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair advice...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
Hi Graham,

Unfortunately the ACL has no blood supply and once it is torn it remains torn, the body has no mechanism to heal itself! Thats is why most active people such as yourself will opt for a reconstruction, which as I'm sure your doctor has explained to you involves taking tissue from another part of your body (or a cadaver) and putting it in place of the torn ligament.
If you are active and in good shape as you say then it is understandable that your knee is not giving you major issues as your leg muscles will most likely be strong enough to support the joint and compensate for the lack of an ACL during non strenuous day to day activities and straight line exercise like cycling. As you've experienced, the knee is often much more unstable during more intense cutting and swerving manoeuvres. Torn meniscus however has a tendency to cause these weird aches and pains you're experiencing due to torn fragments catching in the joint - this wont heal without surgical intervention either sadly.
Obviously every patient is different and no two surgeons or operations are the same but from personal experience (I have had two reconstructions done on my right knee) I have no regrets and have benefitted hugely from having the stability restored to my knee. The key to a successful outcome is intelligent, consistent and appropriate rehab after the op which I am sure your doctor will also discuss with you.

All the best on Thursday,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline type_grim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair advice...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Hi Ross,

Thanks for your response.

As you rightly say, I'm having a hamstring graft.

Since the last time my knee gave way, i've not done any exercise to 'aggravate' it. I was out and about in town recently, tripped/lost my footing and my knee 'tweaked' so i guess that just shows that it really is unstable.

Roll on tomorrow!

I'll keep you posted about my progress.

Best wishes,

Graham

support