Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Freaking out!!!!  (Read 3525 times)

Offline nnnieder

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Freaking out!!!!
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »
Okay so I'm not too sure what I'm should write here, but I would love some really helpful advice back from whoever wants to read this.
I am 17 years old and I hurt my knee in a gymnastics accident in mid January, though I wasn't fully aware of my injury until mid March. And yes, I did continue competing with my injured knee knowing that I was in pain. My trainers at my high school kept telling me that nothing was wrong so I thought nothing of it, but I was still in a lot of pain so I finally decided to go get an X-Ray. The results were surprising because I ended up getting a Femoral Condyle fracture. I'm still not 100% sure what really happened.
After six weeks of wearing a brace and doing little to no activity, I went in for another X-ray to see if it healed. I was very shocked to find out that it actually had gotten much worse. My doctor said that now the only way to insure it to heal is to have surgery and he gave me two options for surgery. I chose the easiest one (Microfracture) since its my senior year and I have so much coming up so quickly(senior prom, graduation, etc...) My mom also sent my X-ray to two other doctors and they also both highly recommended me to get surgery.
I'm just so scared and I do not want to have this procedure at all. The doctors said there isn't a 100% chance this will help my knee. What if I end up getting this procedure done and it doesn't end up helping my knee at all? I'm freaking out for all thats to come next week...
I need some advice for myself because I have been freaking out so much from finally finding out that I need to actually get this procedure done. I don't like the thought of having any surgery and being out for a long time. What am I suppose to expect for the pain when I'm out of surgery? Will there be a lot of pain? How long will I be in pain for? I've just really been freaking out and I need some helpful advice to help calm me down.
Thank you,
Nicole

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Freaking out!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
First - take a deep breath - many of us on this board have had surgery and did very well afterwards.
Next get a pen and paper and write down all these questions to ask your doctor.  Since you are 17 I assume an adult will be with you during your appointments.  Ask them to write down the answers the doctor gives you, its amazing how much you forget.  Each of our injuries are unique and so is our healing processes.  We can give you general information, but your doctor can give you specifics.
One thing you should remember is to make sure you take all your medications on time as prescribed. This is especially true of pain medication.  Take them on schedule to make sure your pain (if any) stays under control.
I was lucky post surgery and only needed pain medications for 2 days, then I didn't need it again until I started walking (7 weeks later)  Like I said we are all different.
Information will help keep you from freaking out.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline davebadknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Freaking out!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
Hi there,

I had surprise micro fracture 7 weeks back. I was tender for a couple of weeks but it gets better. For me I don't know what else I could have done, and I've come to learn that it's a pretty standard procedure especially for sports people.

It's a long time to be on crutches but you will adjust. If it's been recommended then it's probably required, but speak to your parents and the doctor and explore all the alternatives and associated implications. This way you will be better prepared mentally to cope.

At best you will return to your gymnastics, at worst you may need to go easy on your body. A friend said these words to me; "there's plenty of things much worse that could be wrong". It took me a few days to really get it but hey, it's not like I am having the leg amputated or something.

hope it goes well  ;D