Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus problem and hip/ankle pain?  (Read 944 times)

Offline sparrowhawk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Meniscus problem and hip/ankle pain?
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering how common it is to experience pain in the hip and ankle with a meniscus tear. I re-injured my knee four weeks ago (I've been having problems with it since 2011) and since then have been having trouble with my whole leg. The hip and ankle ache at times, mostly when I'm walking, and my ankle's been clicking a fair deal. I'm yet to have my knee problem officially identified (MRI next week), but doc does seem to think it is a meniscus problem. I did ask him about my ankle particularly, but he said it seems to be structurally okay.

Any help would be great! Just hoping I can get this issue sorted.

Injury to right knee '11.
Diagnosed patella effusion & prob. sprain '12.
Re-injured knee '12. Suspected meniscus tear/MCL injury. Pain cleared.
Re-injured knee '14. OS suspected meniscus tear. MRI shows effusion, small plica & chrondomalacia patellae. No evident meniscus injury, likely MCL sprain.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Meniscus problem and hip/ankle pain?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:51 AM »
Hi sparrowhawk:  I had meniscus root tear.   I had pain from the knee to the ankle with a feeling of  pins and needles.  It constantly ached especially in the evening.   I believe they said the foot pain was caused by a baker's cyst in the back of the knee pressing on the tibial nerve and was unlikely from the tear.  I did not have hip pain at that time.   I'm pretty sure that in most cases hip pain is caused from another condition.  You could have bursitis or arthritis or even a back problem and is treated differently  by itself.   The hips will affect the knees but you could have a couple of issues here.  After my meniscus surgery my ankle and foot pain was no more.   Now that I have some arthritis in my hip, it affects my knee from time to time.     I hope this has helped  you and good luck with your diagnosis and possible surgery.   LAS

Offline sparrowhawk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Meniscus problem and hip/ankle pain?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
Hi LAS,

Thanks for your helpful response and well-wishes. A meniscus injury does seem more likely, judging from where I am experiencing pain. My first MRI on the knee (2012) was apparently clear, and the surgeon said it was likely a ligament sprain, but it doesn't seem to be the same this time around.
The hip pain has more or less vanished - my suspicion is that it may have to do with the way I'm walking. My ankle still clicks, but there's less pain there now also. It did really spring up with the knee issue so I'm suspecting there is a connection.
There may be a cartilage issue, as I have been experiencing crunching in my knee, particularly when I bend/squat. Not sure if that's related to the meniscus also.

I'm hoping I get some answers with the MRI. Thanks again.
Injury to right knee '11.
Diagnosed patella effusion & prob. sprain '12.
Re-injured knee '12. Suspected meniscus tear/MCL injury. Pain cleared.
Re-injured knee '14. OS suspected meniscus tear. MRI shows effusion, small plica & chrondomalacia patellae. No evident meniscus injury, likely MCL sprain.