Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 month update and advice needed - Partial Patellar Tendon Repair  (Read 1456 times)

Offline RCMiller

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I am a 27 year old female and I am now 5 months post surgery. After unsuccessful Physical Therapy and PRP injections and then an MRI that showed a piece of my patella that was broken off and imbedded itself into my partially torn patellar tendon. The surgery went well and they were able to clean up my tendon and repair it and they also smoothed out the underside of my patella that had rough edges.

The recovery process was very painful but I was doing very well for the first 8 weeks. At about 8 weeks I started to feel more pain in the knee and having trouble walking up and down stairs, sitting in the same position for too long and squatting down. PT was not helping with these symptoms. I went back to the doctor and it is now looking like that my knee cap is misaligned and is catching and grinding in my knee. I haven't gotten another MRI yet because it would require tons more PT for insurance to cover it. Also, the doctor suggested getting a lubricating injection in my knee. Has anyone had this issue and what was your plan of action to deal with it?

I am very frustrated because it has now been over a year and a half of debilitating knee pain. I am wanting a solution to get me back to running and being very active. Thanks!

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: 5 month update and advice needed - Partial Patellar Tendon Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
RC, sorry to hear about the injury and surgery and sorry you are having pain.  Most of us with RPT have the same issues with steps, as I am about 8 months post surgery and going down is a chore I try to avoid.  I am not sure how the recovery and healing were for a partial tear, but I was immobilized for the first 8 weeks in braces as I had ruptured both tendons.  I have read some posts about misalignment, but nothing on correcting it.  I spent a lot time massaging my kneecap, tendons and knee area to break up the scar tissue in hopes of avoiding some of the perils others faced in their recovery.  But, I have lots of grinding, sometimes you can even hear it, but I had not heard about getting the knee joint lubricated.  Check out the board and you will find some good info.  Lots of people hear all with different situations and lots of good advice.  Ask your OS and PT for advice and then double check it.

TOM
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

support