Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI result- please help interpret  (Read 693 times)

Offline steve39

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
MRI result- please help interpret
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:30:23 AM »
"There is minimal low-grade chondromalacia of the medial patellar facet. The joint spaces and articular surfaces otherwise appear preserved. No focal chondral defect is identified. The bone marrow and musculature are within normal limits."

This is result of floor tile work and some patellar mal-tracking that developed. Seems not too bad but what is the outlook for this, and can it get back to 100% with care, or near it with it being "minimal low-grade."

Thank you!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: MRI result- please help interpret
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:48:05 AM »
Hi Steve39:   Chondromalacia is a softening of the any cartilage.  Yours is under the kneecap. Your cartilage under the kneecap is thinning out probably by being on your knees.  Your kneecap  doesn't glide correctly and causes irritation behind the kneecap thus causing pain.   My guess is that you probably have the beginning of arthritis. Chondromalacia can go up to grades 4-5.  its is my understanding that you can slow it down by changing your life style but it gets worse thru the years especially with age.   You could try resting, ice, anti-inflammatory medication and physical therapy.   If you are overweight, you may want to work on that.  I don't know whether or not you do tile work for a living, if you do there would be a good chance this condition would advance.  Your orthopedic expert would be able to provide a plan to help you.  It may be at the stage where you can control it. 
I hope this helps.   LAS

support