Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quad and Tendon Repair  (Read 2751 times)

Offline New West Quad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Ruptured Quad and Tendon Repair
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »
Hi folks, another Canadian here with some questions.  I am a newly minted 50 year old and I ruptured my quad on Jan 13 and had the surgery to repair on Jan 18.  My OS said to take the previous 6 weeks off of work, which I did.  In my most recent appt with the OS he cleared me for PT and back to work.  I have just started PT and noticing some improvements, for instance, the ability to wash my foot, after 7 weeks.  Thankfully little pain in the knee but a whole lot of tightness.  My initial diagnosis with the flexion had me at 70 degrees and assisted at 78 degrees.  I work a desk job and I realise that everyone is going to be different however any recommendations on a reasonable return to work schedule.  Currently I am being recommended for 3 days a week at 4 hours per day.  That seems pretty reasonable, however Monday is my first day back so that will really tell the tale.  The most pain was post surgery for about 1.5 weeks and I think I have had a reasonable go of it all things considered.  Thoughts, insights greatly appreciated. 

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Ruptured Quad and Tendon Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:41:13 AM »
Hello and welcome New West! First is that the Royal City?  Secondly, let me welcome you as a fellow Canuck (Fan?).
 Before anyone else gets a word in let me promote the "Sooner is better" angle. I was back at work 3 days after surgery and my Physio had me on a bike trying to pedal on my first visit at 2 weeks and actually cycling at 3 weeks. He was head of Physio at the Vancouver Olympics so is competent.
I'll save further comment till I hear your answer to question one!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline New West Quad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
Hi Stuart, yes, the one and only Royal City along the banks of the mighty Fraser River.  I am a 'nucks fan however they are making it difficult as of late.  We don't want to talk about the Dallas game, sigh.  My OS, after they took out the staples, told me he didn't want me doing "anything" and being the dutiful patient I listened.  Little sad about the ugliness of the incision however, I suppose that is what happens when you have to reattach something that shouldn't, ideally, become detached I imagine. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:01:06 AM »
Hi New West Quad   

Welcome to this exclusive club - you have sustained a very serious injury with a long rehab.

How did you sustain your injury?

Suggest that you read some of the previous posts - ASK questions - lots of buddies out here to help you - essential that you read the undermention webpage - contains a collction of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.

Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Stuart and New West:   GO BLUES!!!!

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
NW.  We can put up with Tom as his is one of the few teams we have been able to beat this year. I have worked in the Metrotown area for43 years though now live  in Surrey. Both my kids were born at RCH. Depending on your relationship with your Physio  I would recommend  Marc Rizzardo at Metrtown Physiotherapy who  has at least 2 RQT clients right now. Their injuries were at the same time as mine in August but delays in having surgery and starting Physio set them back.
 If you have not already checked it out ,log on to the regular RQT thread and meet the rest of the Club. As we say here it is very exclusive cos the initiation is a [email protected]&h!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
NW.  We can put up with Tom as his is one of the few teams we have been able to beat this year. I have worked in the Metrotown area for43 years though now live  in Surrey. Both my kids were born at RCH. Depending on your relationship with your Physio  I would recommend  Marc Rizzardo at Metrtown Physiotherapy who  has at least 2 RQT clients right now. Their injuries were at the same time as mine in August but delays in having surgery and starting Physio set them back.
 If you have not already checked it out ,log on to the regular RQT thread and meet the rest of the Club. As we say here it is very exclusive cos the initiation is a [email protected]&h!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline New West Quad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »
Hi John42.  How did I completely rupture the tendon.  I am not 100% sure but I was going down some stairs and I was at the bottom of the stairs and I stepped on a floor mat that was not attached to the carpet.  I THINK, sorry for the caps, I stepped on this mat and it slipped and with it went my right quad tendon.  All I know is the mat was broken at the end and I wasn't moving. Ok, eventually I moved, however it was limping to the car to go to emerg at a local hospital, for those close by it was RCH. 

Well Stuart, I would not put myself into this club however here I am .  I feel, for the most part if is going all right.  I have a coworker who experienced the same thing and her injury was misdiagnosed.  After waiting for an MRI for 4 months and then surgery she was on the road to recovery.  I don't mean to take joy in someone else's misfortune however I feel very fortunate. 

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
NW. Most of us injured ourselves in the most mundane of fashions. If you have not already done so you can learn about each of us by clicking on our  names. I really feel for your co-worker because my PERSONAL view is that the faster the treatment and start of Physio, the better.  I was on the Grouse Grind before you got back to work!
Again join the RQT thread and introduce yourself, you have already picked up one of our basic tenets which is, "Count your blessings!"
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
NW. You should be completing your first week back at work. How did you survive? Any lessons learned?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

support