Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: subchondral marrow edema along the medial condyle  (Read 2805 times)

Offline nishish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
subchondral marrow edema along the medial condyle
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »
 I have been walking briskly 3-4 miles/day,4 d/week (mile in 13-14 min) for the last 2-3 years. I had a sharp knee pain while walking a few weeks back. The pain was noticeable when I tried to go up the stairs. I went to the doctor, they did some x-rays and ROM tests and said everything was normal. Then I felt that my knee was giving way after 2-3 days. I took crutches and had an MRI done.
The report is:

Medial meniscus is intact. Discoid lateral meriscus without tear. The ACL and PCL as well as medial and fibular collateral ligaments appear unremarkable. The extensor mechanism of the knee appears intact. THe volume of fluid is within normal physiologic range. There is a small amount of subchondral marrow edema along the weight bearing surface of medial femoral condyle with tiny overlying full-thickness chondral fissure. There is also a chondral fissure along the medial patellar facet. Finally, focal grade 4 chondromalacia of the medial femoral condyle.

The doc gave me a steroid shot and no weight bearing for 1 week and now partial weight bearing for one week.

Can anyone tell me what does this all mean? I am 46 yr female, I never had any problems with my knees. Once in a while I had pain in my knee, but never was too bad to see a doctor. What is my prognosis?

support