Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here, had mpfl reconstruction and graph last Monday  (Read 1013 times)

Offline [email protected]

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here, had mpfl reconstruction and graph last Monday
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
I had the mpfl reconstructions w graph on Monday March 3rd 2014. I am 8 days post op, started my cpm machine the day after surgery, up tp 80% bend today.  Had post op this am start pt today 2-3x a wk, brace on for another 4 wks in locked position.

I'm 32 and have 3 boys, also very active in the gym. Hoping recovery goes well and can return to norm activities this summer. 

Anyone with this surgery have any tips or suggestions.  Thanks

Leanne

Offline edann87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: New here, had mpfl reconstruction and graph last Monday
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
Hi Leanne

I unfortunately have nothing of value to add as I am due for the same surgery in July.  However I do wish you a speedy recovery. And I look forward to hearing about your progress. How do you find the CPM machine?

Eric
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:11:22 PM by edann87 »

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Hi Leanne,

I hope your surgery went well. It sounds like your making a great start with your recovery- 80% bend at 8 days post op is really good.

I had this surgery in August 2012 and then I had it repeated with another thing last July. A good tip is to make sure that you have plenty of good books or films, or something to keep you occupied, as resting can become very boring. Having your mind on something else can also take your mind off of pain. Another thing is don't do too much too soon- I know that movement and regaining strength is important but over stressing the knee isn't the best idea. Also, having a shower chair is a good idea for when you can get in the shower. It makes having a shower feel much more safe.

Good luck with your recovery. Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
Thank you, I was able to shower with assistance 3-4 dats post op and w a chair.  Felt good to shower. Had first pt appt today for evaluation and exercises.  Went really good, straight leg raises were the worst.  Looking forward to recovering and not having a knee that gives out all of the time. 

Good luck on ur upcoming surgery.

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:38:38 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the club.  I'm 5.5 weeks post op on my left knee MPFL reconstruction. Keep up the good work on the CPM machine. Getting back your range of motion is a sometimes painful, but important first step. If your doctor allows,  start attempting to get your quad to fire asap. The sooner it returns, the easier your recovery will be. If you have any questions or concerns, just ask.. or check out my post op diary. It's a long road but with each week you do see improvement!
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
thanks rob.  I was just checking out ur post op blog.  I'm now up to 85 on m machine, first pt was tues after my follow up w the dr. Heel slides were rough to start, was at 52%, then 75% then before I left tp was at 83%. I'm not allowed to go above 90% so he was worried about me doing heel slides at home alone wo being able to measure.  So I did 15 today and was just careful w the bend radius. Pain is getting better, just taking pain pills at night to help me sleep, sleeping w the brace is awful!!! I've been doing the ice about twice a day for about 30 mins each time and the cpm machine at least 3 times a day for 2 hrs each time if I can. With 3 kids it's hard to do it that long sometimes. It does feel good while in it, and never thought to hold the last one in the up position for a few mins before I stopped.  Riding the car is rough, long car rides are out, can't do it. Still using the crutches along w weight bearing. Brace is set in fixed position till my next follow up 4-8-14 the. See what happens.  Showering is still difficult wo the brace feels funny. 

It's a process and I know it's going to be long.  But hoping to be back go 80% me by summer. Hopefully I can do it or better. :) one day at a time.  Went back to the gym did my tp exercises and upper body and abs.  Was good to get back.  Leg is sore now but taking 1000 mg of Tylenol instead of the pain meds during the day unless I'm at tp then I take a pain pill. 

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
I Also had a lateral release done in 1999 and scoped in 2010 and 2012.  Would dislocate at any time at least 2-4 times a month.  Ugh