Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What exercises will help strengthen leg/knee?  (Read 741 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
What exercises will help strengthen leg/knee?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi,
Im due to have MPFL reconstruction and TTO in june,
I have patella instability and patella tracking disorder,
My knee crunches and grinds when going up and downstairs and with bending, also when going from sitting to standing a get a loud painful pop/crack to the medial side of the knee cap.
Im wanting to get my leg strong before i have surgery to try and help with a quicker recovery period, does anyone know what exercises are best to do, or would i be best to invest in an exercise bike?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance emma xx
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: What exercises will help strengthen leg/knee?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
Hi, sorry to hear about all your knee problems :(. I too have had knee problems for the past 15 years. After it all it was recommended I got my kneecap removed as there was nothing else they could do for me ; i had this surgery in January this year.

I have been attending physio for years and the most important exercise they start you off with is the straight leg lifts. Lie on the floor or bed and lift the leg straight up so it's off the floor or bed, hold it there for 15-20 seconds. This is a great exercise for the quad muscles.
Hope the surgery goes well

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: What exercises will help strengthen leg/knee?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
Hi shelly86
Hope you recovering well from your surgery,
Thank you for the advice regarding exercises, i have been told the one you mentioned but im really struggling with it, i hold for 5 seconds and then i get a popping feeling at the side of my knee cap like as tho muscle or something is popping? I can also see the pop at the side of the knee cap so had been avoiding doing that one, but if its a good one i might have to give it another go.
Thanks again emma xx
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

support