Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovery process after arthroscopic surgery  (Read 763 times)

Offline chm0002

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery process after arthroscopic surgery
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
Hey all,

I'm 24 years old, back in mid-November I had surgery on my right knee.  Crutches for a few days, and then started doing the exercises asked of me by my doctor, and by mid January my knee was feeling decent.  Enough to where I could get on the bike.  It was starting to feel back to normal.  And then one day I was stretching my knee out, and then it began to swell up.  It became really stiff again, so I went back to the doctor.  He agreed that there was some swelling and put me on some anti-inflamtory medicine, and now almost two months later, I'm still taking the anti-inflamtory medicine (had to get a refill in February), and my knee is still bothering me.  It becomes very stiff, and is painful.  Doesn't feel stable at some moments.  Walking around is hard.  I was so frustrated last week, that I tried to force the issue.  I figured, maybe this is something I can just work through and the pain will eventually go away, so I went to the gym, jogged 1 lap around the track, and my knee was so uncomfortable I had to stop, and my knee has been feeling even more uncomfortable since that. 

It doesn't feel like the anti-inflamtory medicine is doing anything, it's very frustrating when my doctor says my knee is structural sound, but it still hurts.  I used to be extremely active before my knee injury last year, playing basketball alot, and running often.  Now the thought of playing basketball and cutting on the court makes me cringe, and running clearly isn't going to happen based on last weeks experience. 

Has anyone had similar experience? Any thoughts on the situation would be appreciated!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Recovery process after arthroscopic surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
What was actually done during your arthroscopy - these are done for many different reasons and what is done really varies from patient to patient depending on what is  damaged / what the surgeon finds

Are you using ice regularly (i.e. daily) to help the swelling and pain?  Are you doing any physiotherapy, it may be that you have to dial it right back and let the knee heal.  3-6 months isn't an unusual recovery period, very much depending on what was done to the knee

Long term use of anti-inflammatories isn't ideal as they are tough on the stomach, always takes them food and according to the dosage on the pack / as given by the Dr

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline chm0002

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
I had a plica band and a fat pad scrapped.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
My understanding that although these seem like quite straightforward things, plica removal can be a long and slow recovery and scar tissue formation can occur, while the fat pad is full of nerves and hence painful if inflamed and also if trimmed surgically.

I'd discuss with your doctor and physio :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support