Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Too young to give up running at the age of just 35!  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Too young to give up running at the age of just 35!
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
Warning to members,

I just would like to know how many members on KG at around my age or younger have had to give up competitive level running. Since Primary School onwards been a competitive long distance runner despite having some knee problems to contend with.

I saw my OS on Wednesday 5th March 2014, I was expecting that I will need a 2nd exploratory scope on my right knee that I am fine about. I am having it done on Friday 18th July 2014.

I could have had the surgery done earlier and chose not to; the reason being I am studying until mid July at a college in Worcester as well as helping out as a volunteer Year 9 Community Project Gardening Leader in a deprived region of Worcester.

What has shocked me was being told I may not be able to run again, this is a big blow as I enjoy running long distance and it was a big shock for me! At my peak my average running pace was 6 minutes & 50 seconds a mile. My best time to date and will never be matched again was 1 mile in 6 minutes and 1 second, I was aiming to keep to that speed that now a distant memory!

I am on the autistic spectrum with Asperger syndrome and always enjoyed running long distance and tend not to listen to other peoples advice to slow down! I was running a 9 mile circuit, 4 times a week in just over 1 hour, I did manage to do it in just under 1 hour, 2 weeks before I had a fall on black ice onto my right knee in January 2013. Since then cannot run anymore that is hard to accept.

Running long distance is a great form of relaxation for me, as well as burning off excessive amounts of energy as I think I also have ADD undiagnosed. My OS did not totally rule out running after surgery just advised me not to after seeing my knee history and MRI scan and already have had 1 scope done on right knee in 2009.

It would be foolish if I do not take his advice he has given me! I do have early signs of wear and tear on my right knee after 13 years of manual labour as a Golf Course Greenekeeper. This may have added to the wear and tear.

It has taken its toll and now my left knee has maltracking problems that could also pose problems in the future if I did carry on running after surgery. My OS said to take up swimming and cycling. This is not the same as running long distance.

Part of me is saying I will show my OS I can run still, the other part is saying he is the expert and be unwise to go against his advice.

Gutted of course but there is not much I can do to change it as I did push myself to the extreme, I am now paying the consequences for my actions. I admit fully I may have overdone it and of course my knees have had enough. I was stupid to run at such a pace, if I took my speed at a nice steady pace I would be still running long distance.

Warning to other members do not push your knees to the limit you will pay the ultimate price! OSís are not miracle doctors, they can just ease the pain and discomfort not do a complete fix on your knees.

[email protected]

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:26:12 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Too young to give up running at the age of just 35!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »
Hi All,

I have two links to prove that I use to be able to run a competitive level; I am proud of my time of 9 miles in under one hour.

https://www.runtastic.com/en/users/nick-clarke-3/sport-sessions/38296072

Results of the Halesowen 8km Multi Terrain 2012; this was my 1st and only competitive race for Droitwich AC.

I had only just joined the Droitwich AC; I came 24th out of 199 runners. I came 3rd for Droitwich AC out of the 25 members that took part.

Time of 37:12, as I said was not at my peak at the time, I could have ran it at around 35 minutes, making it to the top 10.

http://droitwichac.co.uk/events/20120808_Halesowen/Results.pdf

I will not give up just yet in competitive long distance running; despite a 2nd knee surgery in July on my right knee! I will not be defeated, no way will I be hanging up my running trainers at the age of just 35.

[email protected]

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
24 years ago I had one of the first patella femoral ligament grafts to repair ACL rupture and was tools I wouldn't ski again.....took me five years but I did! Nearly three years ago I ruptured ACL, MCL and tore meniscus in other knee. All repaired but told I wouldn't run or ski again. Hey presto, skied last year (and soon off agin) and regularly run 16 - 20 miles a week. It's all about what you want to do, not what the doctors tell you!!
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:22:52 PM »
Oh, and btw, I'm 47!
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rothera,

After reading through the knee problems you have had to go through, I should have a good chance of getting back at a competitive level at running long distance. I do trust my OS 100%; who mainly treats younger patients.

I think that all OS's presume the worse case scenario as he did not say to me I should not get back into running just ease back and maybe be better if I cycled and swam instead of running long distances.

I have good strong firm quads after my last knee surgery that is all going to go when I have my 2nd scope, it is going to take a while to get them nice firm and strong again. I am happy to take a chance by going for the surgery; it might give me some pain relief that will hopefully get me back to running, which is the main reason why I am going for an exploratory scope.

Skiing is also high impact on the knees and are at a higher risk of tearing a ligament or tendon in the knee that does not faze an experienced or keen skier. I can see you are a keen skier.

I am a keen long distance runner and it is something I have been good at doing since I was at primary school. I am fully aware that running long distance on a hard surface wears out your knee. I will enjoy running while I can and do know one day both my knees will no longer be able to take any more running. Until that day comes will do all I can to run again long distance.

Life is too short, wearing out the knees is better then smoking and drinking; worse case scenario; TKR at a younger age and have to take risks in life.

My private Physio I see occasionally was also a keen log distance runner who had to go through knee surgeries. He ended up having a mircofracture that I think is what is done before a partial or total knee replacement.

I would like to say to my future children and grandchildren that I took part in the London Marathon and other Marathons. I have not had a chance to compete in any yet; thanks to my knees problems, that are preventing me fulfilling a dream goal in life.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Hi All,

Just out of curiosity has any member had bruising of the actual bone inside the knee; bleeding of the inside of the bone that my OS said he does not see very often see come up on an MRI scan report.

How did you deal and overcome bruising of the actual bone inside the knee?

[email protected]

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »
Hi Nick,

I had a significant bone bruise in my femoral condyle above the osteochondral defect and meniscus tear, clearly visible on the initial MRI and presumably caused by the impact of femur vs tibia and the twisting.  I was told these can take 3-6 months to resolve, indeed as long as 12 or more...I believe in my case this resolved within 9 months or less as it wasn't mentioned at the time of my second MRI about 9 months later.  I believe these bone bruises can also be labelled bone marrow oedema
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
Hi Vicky,

I now have my MRI scan report that I will share with you, one of the diagnoses looks similar to your knee condition.

'Medial femoral condyle bone oedema, which I think probably represents cartilage degeneration'

This to me sounds similar to your knee injury, this is 1 problem out of many spotted on my MRI scan.

I will post my full MRI scan report, starting on a new topic.

[email protected]

support