Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain in both knees after partial meniscectomy  (Read 1928 times)

Offline fed up having a sore knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain in both knees after partial meniscectomy
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
Hello,

4 weeks ago I had a partial meniscectomy in my right knee.  2 weeks after surgery my knee was making good progress, no swelling and minimal pain only if I walked for too long.

Then I started physio... the first week pain started after exercise, the 2nd week the physio had me cycling and rowing and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Within a few days I was back on crutches and in considerable pain.  This is now 2 weeks later and I am house bound following the advice of the hospital consultant.  What is worrying me the most is that my left knee is now hurting as much as the right knee (surgery was on the right knee) in the inner side - exactly where the right knee hurt prior to surgery.  Im wondering if Ive injured the left knee through using crutches?

Also no pain killers work, Im using ice pack and cold patches - still in constant pain and stairs are virtually impossible.

Any advice?

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Pain in both knees after partial meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »
You shouldn't have that much pain two weeks after surgery.  Perhaps the rehab was too aggressive.  My orthopedic surgeon told me that you can't really tear the meniscus that quickly after a partial meniscectomy  but you can overdue it and it will take longer to heal.   In my case two weeks after surgery, it felt good and  so I decided to help out with some light yard work and then had to deal with Thanksgiving. I did myself in.  Couldn't walk on it and had to rest with ice etc.  It took a long time for it to heal  (3 months) but eventually it did.  As for your left leg you are probably compensating.  I have experienced that too.  You actually use your other leg as a crutch along with the real crutch. The muscles on the other leg work hard to carry you.   I wouldn't worry too much about the medial pain on left knee.  Avoid stairs until you feel better and elevate as much as you can with ice. I would also try to do some low key strengthening exercises in both knees when you are lying down. That's what helped me and patience.   If it continues after trying this then you might have a re-tear and I would go back to see the orthopedic surgeon.  I hope this helps and you are pain free soon.    LAS

Offline fed up having a sore knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
Hi Las,

thanks very much for your post, makes me feel a little better. Hopefully you are right and Ive just over done it.  And hopefully the other knee will recover with rest.  Stairs are tricky to avoid as I live in a house with upstairs bedroom, but I will limit going up and down as much as possible.

Did you find any particular pain killers that actually helped?  I have solpadol and ibuprofen, but they werent touching the pain. A friend suggested Naproxen which is the main pain killer in feminax ultra, and this seems to be helping but you are only 3 tablets a day which isnt ideal.

Thanks again,

ali

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
Talk to your GP about pain relief.  In the uk, co-codamol and tramadol are the next level up from paracetamol.  Solpadol has the same active ingredients as co codamol but the latter has 5 times the codeine dose I think.  These are prescription only, can cause drowsiness and also constipation as common side effects, so you may not be able to drive or work.

Naproxen and diclofenac are stronger / longer lasting non steroidal anti inflammatories, never take them in addition to ibuprofen and only ever with food.  They reduce pain by reducing inflammation and can be used with paracetamol / other opiates.  You can get a bigger naproxen dose on prescription than over the counter.  3 a day will be a safe max dose

See your doctor for advice

I used crutches on and off for a month after my menisectomy and the knee really only started to feel ok after about. 3 months. Rowing and cycling two weeks after sounds like way too much too soon, I was still going heel slides and leg lifts.  I would RICE and do minimal physio as recommended by your surgeon.  He knows what he saw and did.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
For the first two weeks after surgery, I only really needed the Naproxen or Advil and the surgeon told me that I had a bad root tear.  I'm not even sure what that means.  They had given me an RX for Percocet after surgery.   When I started to get the pain again I took 1/2 pill (Percocet) with 3 Advil twice a day for a couple of weeks.   I avoided stairs as much as possible and walking and standing for more than 10 minutes.  Make sure you do the heaven and hell walk when you use the stairs.  (You know when you go up start with the good and when you go down start with the bad knee so that you not bending the  knee with the surgery).   If you have a re-tear or pain hasn't subsided (unlikely but not impossible) go back and let the experts evaluate you or perhaps at a post-op visit.   The hardest thing for me was sleeping with your knee straight and elevated.   I hope your feeling better soon. It stinks.  LAS