Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteonecrosis  (Read 599 times)

Offline sarahclark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteonecrosis
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
I have had trouble with my knee since I was 12.  I finally convinced a doctor to order an MRI after over 20 years of pushing for one.  The xray before the MRI stated:

There is mild lateral patellar subluxation noted. There is mild joint space narrowing involving the lateral joint compartment. I see no effusion or fracture.

The MRI stated:

Findings:
As noted previously, there are well-defined lesions involving the medial and lateral femoral condyles, as well as lateral aspect of the proximal tibia and a small lesion in the medial tibial plateau.
These demonstrate serpiginous peripheral enhancement with patchy central enhancement. No soft tissue enhancement is noted. A mild joint effusion is evident. There is a Baker's cyst measuring 1.8 x
2.5 x 5.5 cm.

Impression:
The findings are in keeping with bone infarcts involving the bilateral femoral condyles and the proximal tibia.

A second MRI also stated: gross abnormalities to medial and lateral femoral condyles and proximial tibia, predominately the lateral plateau with multiple areas of abnormal serpiginous signal intensity extending to subchondral surfaces.

I saw a surgeon a few days before the MRI and he kicked me out of his office after saying there was nothing wrong and demanding I cancel the MRI.  He even missed the 5cm Baker's Cyst because he did not examine me at all.  The second surgeon would only say it needs to be replaced.  He would not explain anything else.  I have since been diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and only through my own research have found I have an 80% chance of this happen to other joints. 

Anyone else dealing with some of or all of these knee issues?  Cannot find a surgeon who will do the surgery as I am 36 and since I am now pregnant, I am going to have to delay as long as possible but cannot even drive anymore due to my knee.  Cannot get any information from doctors but reading Ortho text books and journals.  Advice/suggestions??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:06:11 AM by sarahclark »