Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: As you get older, how much force is needed to tear meniscus ?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline MR. C

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
 Hello. I am a 54 y/o male. Today I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill at a brisk pace-(for me)- 7.1 mph.
          After I cooled off I started doing core work. I was doing trunk twists with a wooden stick up on my shoulders. I do this exercise often. Anyway today I twisted and felt a sharp pain inside my inner left knee.  I quit doing those,did some other exercises and went home.
     Now six hours later I am at work and I feel a numbness from the inside of my knee down to my big toe w prolonged sitting. Knee doesn't hurt too badly. I can pinpoint the spot on the inside of the knee. Does not feel like it is giving way or locking.

Any idea what this could be ? I was doing the trunk twists vigorously but even at my age I wouldn't think that would tear a meniscus, unless it was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and the real damage was done from years  of running and basketball.
          Any ideas  ?  Thank you.
ACL patellar graft ,lateral meniscecomy rt knee 2006-medial meniscectomy rt knee 2005- rt knee meniscectomy 1995,1994-left knee meniscectomy 1991,1992 -MCL repair left knee 1980.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: As you get older, how much force is needed to tear meniscus ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »
Looks like you have a long history of meniscus tears and from what I'm hearing you could have another one sir.  The knee doesn't have to give out or lock for it to be a tear.   Get it checked out especially since your getting numbness down to the toe area.   You need to know what you are dealing with.    LAS

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
By the was Mr.C it doesn't take much to get a tear the older you get.   Vigorous workouts will do it.   I got a severe tear with no exercise.  When I workout now, the first place I feel it is my knees.   LAS

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Hi There,

Please get it checked out sooner rather then later as pain is there for a reason! I ignored the sudden sharp pain in my right knee while I was running a 9 mile circuit 4 times a week in just over 1 hour at a fast pace.

I thought at the time this is perfectly normal to get pain in the knee while running long distance at the pace I was going at. I am only 35 and saw my OS this and week scheduled for a 2nd exploratory scope and may have torn my meniscus that hard to pinpoint properly as I have bon bruising inside my right knee from pushing my knee to its limits too much.

Do you warm and stretch before doing physical activities and do the same afterwards? I did it before my run but not afterwards as this can increase your chances of injury to the inside of the knee if you do not stretch and warm up properly.

My OS told me at the age of 35 I more prone to injuries, many professional sports men and women have to retire in their early to mid 30s as they are more injury prone as their joints haver gone through a lot of high impact.

I have also have a long history of knee problems, I may never run competitively again and been told swimming and cycling are the next best option as it puts less impact on the joints.

Wearing the correct footwear is also important and should never be tight when spending money on trainers, orthotics can also be beneficial in reducing impact on the joints.

I have learnt all this too late and have early signs of wear and tear in my right knee with a 2nd exploratory scope scheduled in July.

As we get older we have to keep an eye on our joints and look after them the best we can. Do not do what I did by devising your own fitness programme! Always seek an opinion of a personal trainer and sport physiotherapist; advice from a sports physician if you have a history of knee problems.

[email protected]

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support