Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia + maltracking (Need help)  (Read 1685 times)

Offline [email protected]

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalacia + maltracking (Need help)
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:21 AM »
I am suffering knee pain from past 9-10 months. Doctor says my knee is maltracking due to tight IT band. Also high Q angle of my knees is responsible for this.
4 months of rehab haven't worked for me.
2 months back in Jan 2014 MRI showed Grade 1-2 chondromalacia behind my knee cap. XRay and MRI attached.
Doctor  suggested lateral release and shaving of patella but he doubts if LR will work for me and I would be prone for knee dislocations too because he doubts if I have shallow grove.

In Feb I went to another doctor who wants to try visco injections first and if that doesn't works he is suggesting shaving of patella and during surgery he will decide if LR will work for me or not.
I am just 31 with 2 months old kid and terrified to see struggling life ahead.
I read lots of articles on this forum and looks like one surgery invites another in short time. But how long can you hold for surgery if walking also is getting difficult.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some history
===========
Pain increased  gradually and I went to doctor when going stairs up/down became difficult. Doctor put me into rehab for mostly stretching (doctor asked PT to focus on stretches rather than strengthening) for 3 months but I kept on degrading.
On Jan 2014 MRI was done and there is Grade 1-2 chondromalacia behind by knee cap. I started going into depression. I asked PT to revisit exercises and he tailor made a program which mainly consist of strengthening of quads (straight leg raises) and Hip strengthening (clam with resistance) along with stretching of glute, hip, hamstring, roller for IT band etc.
During some exercise I flared up my knee and since 1 week I am finding walking also difficult. Not sure if cartilage damage is more than what MRI showed

I am not a runner or gym person and most of my work is desk work. Only incident I could relate is that 2 months before onset of pain I started running 3-4 miles per week and continued it for 2 months.
Ankur

Offline RockyMtnMan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Chondromalacia + maltracking (Need help)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »
I also have had similar symptoms and have tried PT, Euflexxa/Orthovisc injections.  I finally had the right knee scoped with a LR.  Doc said I have grade 3 chondromalacia.  This treatment all occurred over about a year and after the LR with another round of orthovisc I got a little relief but am still in pain.

I went to see a new doctor and he observed my pain and optimistically has recommended a fulkerson procedure (first on the right knee).  I will be having this next month and am really looking forward to it.  If we get good results, I will be doing it on the left also.  He seems to think this will really address my symptoms.

I know how you feel.  It's tough to not think about anything else.  I have 3 kids and can't really bend my knees much to pick them up.  Stairs are a nightmare.  I used to run/CrossFit/etc. etc. but as of late I don't really do anything with my legs.  I'm hopeful though that the Fulkerson procedure will alleviate some of my pain.  Doc seems very optimistic and has repeated that this will address my issues.

It's a pretty invasive procedure but I'm excited to try something else.  My LR and scope did help so it might be worth giving it a shot.  Good luck.

Offline [email protected]

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:33:56 AM »
I know its very hard to sail on this ship but we should never give hope and have to fight. Who knows after few years all stem cells, regenerex or other cartilage regeneration procedures start to take solid shape.
From what i perceived after reading lots and lots of forums is that LR is very common procedure doctors give but benefits few (I dont know a person yet saying it solved my problem). It is just to pacify your mind that I did small surgery before going for a major one.
I will pray for you that your Fulkerson procedure go well and you live a normal life again. Keep posting about your status.
Currently I cant walk comfortably and start feeling lots of heat around the knee. May be I am getting tendinitis too.
Ankur

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:51:09 AM »
I would try the synvisc injections first.  That has worked for me and I am currently still getting them.  Chondromalacia  really sucks.  I know how you feel.  It's debilitating.  The synvisc does not help everyone but I would try it first and see how you feel and see if you can cope.   For me, it allows me to get around OK.   At the end of the day my knees are weak and there is some pain but I can deal with it.
I think surgery should be the last resort.  I too in the near future hope they come up with something better than what we have now.   Good Luck!    LAS

support