Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS Surgery / 50 yr old Male  (Read 3174 times)

Offline portlandgoblue

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
OATS Surgery / 50 yr old Male
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
After reading various posts on this site, it's hard to tell how successful this surgery is. I know I'm at the upper age range for any cartilage repair. My MRI showed normal meniscus, ligaments, bone structure. My lesion is behind the patella (trochlea) and about 8mm x 10mm. I'm not thrilled about the pain I'm going to suffer here but hopefully it will be worth it.

Anyone close to my age go through this? Results? How was the rehab hell afterwards?

I'm a very active tennis player (4.0), in very good shape and work from my home. I'm in Portland, OR and my OS is Dr. Edelson (Team doctor for the Portland Timbers). He seems to know what he is doing :)

John

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: OATS Surgery / 50 yr old Male
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »
I had OATS about 5 years ago. I don't remember the size of my defect, but it was at the upper range for repair with my own tissue - he *almost* had to close me back up and wait for a cadaver graft.

Rehab wasn't bad. I was NWB for an awfully long time (7 weeks?), but encouraged to bend my knee the whole time. Transitioning to WB and then to normal walking wasn't bad at all. Nothing like what you do with a knee replacement, if you wind up with that in the future.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline portlandgoblue

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: OATS Surgery / 50 yr old Male
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
To close out this thread, I had surgery but did not need OATS. The OS just smoothed out the cartilage in 2 places (medial femoral condyle and trochlea) because the defects were not down to the bone. He used some sort of RF heating tool to fuse the cartilage together and smooth it out. I'm already partial weight bearing.