Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL instead of Tibial Tubercle Osteotoy  (Read 657 times)

Offline DawnettC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
MPFL instead of Tibial Tubercle Osteotoy
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
February 20th I got the mpfl done on my left knee, was in surgery for 3 hours and the doc said things went good.  Stayed in hospital overnite due to getting a spinal tap in my left leg and not being able to bear weight on it.  Got home on Friday afternoon and by Saturday I was sick.  Running a fever and a really bad congestive cough.  Have not had a bowel movement since the surgery but the nurse keeps telling me this is ok.   

Can anybody else tell me about their experience with mpfl's?
Dawnett J. Cotton

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
Re: MPFL instead of Tibial Tubercle Osteotoy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »
Hi, I had MPFL & MCL recons with allografts last April.  I stayed in hospital overnight for pain management.  The pain medication caused severe constipation.  I used magnesium citrate (it is a drinkable liquid that does not cause any cramps, but when it starts to work...it works!)  You can find it in any drug store chain like CVS, Walgreens, etc.  If you have a respiratory infection you might need antibiotics.

Because I had both ligaments done I was NWB / TTWB for some time and had a brace for over 6 weeks.  Unfortunately, I have had primary Arthrofibrosis  for decades and developed it again after the surgery so I never regained my ROM.  From talking with others who have had MPFL recons, each recovery is different as is each doctors rehab protocol.  Some people had no problems at all and others had quite the time of it.  Try not to get discouraged if you are not making the same progress of others who have posted.  Everyone heals differently and at their own pace. 

Good Luck and best wishes for a quick recovery.
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline DawnettC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MPFL instead of Tibial Tubercle Osteotoy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Chester, I will try that Magnesium citrate.  They gave me a prescription for a stool softener that I have been taking everyday.

I am NWB as well but I am hoping that things work out and I don't have to have the whole knee replaced.

Thanks again Chester57.
Dawnett J. Cotton

support