Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synthetic Scaffold Mosaicplasty??  (Read 4556 times)

Offline irishgal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synthetic Scaffold Mosaicplasty??
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
I have a focal chondral defect on my LFC (weightbearing) and my surgeon suggests I have mosaicplasty with synthetic plugs.  I've read a lot about Mosaicplasty in general but can't find any information out there on using synthetic plugs.  Has anyone ever had this done or know anything about it?  Thanks!

Offline irishgal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Synthetic Scaffold Mosaicplasty??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
Well, I haven't received any replies so that has me even more concerned that this is too experimental.  Last ditch effort for info from anyone out there???

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
Do you mean the trufit plugs? 

http://www.kneeclinic.info/problems_articular_cartilage.php some info here

If you google or use the knee geeks search function, you'll get some hits. 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/search.html?cx=partner-pub-1712090951856680%3Arbli5914bwc&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Trufit&sa=Search+Site

Rarely used, I only remember one recentish poster on here and they had failed

You really need to talk to your surgeon about this surgery, success rates etc

Why does he not want to use a more tried and tested autologous oats or an aci or de novo method?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:40:16 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Own site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Hi,

Here's some previous topics about the treatment. Check out also these Scholar articles and links from Google.

Good luck with your knee :-)

BTW, this topic should be moved under Osteochondral autografts and allografts (eg OATS & mosaicplasty) section. [Ed: done. Thank you.]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:16:03 PM by The KNEEguru, Reason: To acknowledge request. »
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Your links only go to the google home page, at least via my iPad
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Your links only go to the google home page, at least via my iPad

Vickster, I don't use Ipad. Can you try to click the links again on your computer?
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Yes, works on a computer
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline irishgal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies!  I think the reason the surgeon wants to use synthetic plugs is that I am very small boned and don't have a lot to spare.  He said the Denovo is a very long, hard recovery.  I am very active but I was never a professional athlete and maybe he thinks I couldn't handle the recovery (and also I'm 53).  I'm also very concerned because my last surgeon took out a lot of meniscus.  Is there any point in doing this surgery if I don't have much cushion underneath the defect????

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
That is really good question.

The meniscus is a very important shock absorber of the knee made of a very strong substance called fibrocartilage. It protects the cartilage of the joint, keeping it from wearing out and causing early arthritis. A large percentage of our body weight is distributed through the meniscus as we walk, run, and jump. The meniscus adds to the stability of the knee joint by helping the shape of the femur or thigh bone conform to the tibia or leg bone. The meniscus also plays a role in the nourishment of the joint cartilage that covers the bones in the joint. Without the meniscus cushion, persistent knee pain and arthritis will usually develop.

So you should first replace the meniscus and then repair the damage in articular cartilage.

Offline irishgal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
Thanks for your reply!  Are you considering a meniscal transplant for yourself?  I'm having a hard time finding a dr. in Florida who does this.  I can't really afford to go fly around the country and get the 2nd opinions from the surgeons that I hear are good.  I did make the one trip to NY but I'm afraid he solely focuses on articular cartilage defects and isn't going to address the lack of meniscus

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Hi,

Here's some topics about meniscus allograft in Florida.

Nope. I haven't planned any surgery for my knee, or any other treatment in the near future. I considered Actifit scaffold implantation some time ago, but I decided not to go for surgery.