Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How bad is it when your osteochondral allograft transplant fails?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline TheFonz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Has anyone had one of these fail? I'm just wondering how bad it is when they do.  I'm trying to figure out if I should cut my losses now and be happy that I can sleep without chronic pain and walk a limited amount albeit in chronic pain.  But at least I can walk.  I'm about to get my entire trochlea replaced and scared I will be even worse off. 

I'm 13 months post op from denovo and it's been pretty brutal pain wise.  The only way I can get pain free is by laying on my side so there is no knee cap pressure on the trochlea, which is where my denovo is.

I can't do stairs, ride a bike, sit with my leg bent at 90 degrees for more then like 20 min without significant pain.  I can walk but with pain.  If I walk more then a mile or 2 at one time the pain gets pretty intense. 

My rom is about 130 degrees once full stretched out, but it's more like 90 to 100 degrees for all practical purposes.  When it's at 130, there is so much compression it feels like something is going to burst.  It swells any time the knee starts going in motion.

The denovo made me significantly worse.  If the transplant turns out as bad I'm afraid I won't even be able to walk or bend my knee more the 100 degrees.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:01:34 AM by TheFonz »
Check out the link below to see my journal of my Denovo NT procedure.  3cm x 3cm defect on the Lateral Trochlea of the left knee.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=61437.0

Offline irishgal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How bad is it when your osteochondral allograft transplant fails?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
Just wondering if you ended up going with OATS?  How are you doing now?  I'm considering it but am scared