Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar tendonitis - please help!  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Sarah_lu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendonitis - please help!
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am worried about a knee injury and wondered if I could get some advice...

I should start by saying that the injury is completely and utterly my own fault and is down to my own absolute stupidity.  I practice Ashtanga yoga and tried to enter an upside down lotus position without warming up.  I was showing off if I'm honest, I have completely learned my lesson and wish I could turn back the clock but the damagae is done now.

Uopn entering the position there was a loud cracking noise from my right knee and ive been in pain ever since - this was 8 days ago now and things don't seem to be improving.  I was unable to walk without limping for a couple of days and after not much improvement after 5 days I went to see a doctor who said it sounds like I have patellar tendonitis.  He advised icing, taking ibuprofen and rest, all of which I've done since.  I am able to take a bit more weight on my knee now and walking is easier, but I now have an icy cold feeling down my whole leg from thigh to ankle, it literally feels like a block of ice is being held against me.  My leg feels like a dead weight and movement is very stiff and incomfortable.

Can anyone advise how long this might last?  I am going on holiday in just under 2 weeks..I had been looking forward to having time to practice yoga, which is obviously out of the question now.  Do I have any hope of being at least comfortable to walk aroung etc by then?  What is the prognosis in terms of yoga, will it be ages before I can realisticly start practicing again?

Also is tendonitis a long term condition, i.e will it return or is it possible to make a full recovery?

Thanks so much.

Offline DawnettC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Patellar tendonitis - please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Hi Sarah_lu,

Tendinitis is just like having arthritis whereas it never goes away.  Have you had any xrays or mri's done to try and narrow down the problem?  I would start there.  I have problems with my patella but mine is having no cartilage underneath.  Not sure that the ice will actually work over a long period of time so what I do is switch back and forth between heat and ice.  If you apply heat only do it for 5 or 10 mins at a time cause sometimes it can make it worse.  For me it feels great.  I have had 13 surgeries on my left knee due to my patella problems.  I had the 14th surgery on the 20th of Feb and I had to get a mpfl to repair my ligaments.  Experiment with a few things such as icy hot, bio freeze and other ointments that may help and from time to time you may have to wrap it with an ace bandage.

Hopes this helps some.
Dawnett J. Cotton

Offline Sarah_lu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply.  No, I haven't had any tests done other than the doctor moving my leg around.  I have booked to see another doctor on Tuesday as it isn't getting any better.  I now have shooting pains from my ankle to thigh, difficulty walking and burning/icy sensations as well as almost constant pins and needles.  I wonder if it is something to do with nerves? 

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:16:46 AM »
Hi Sara

I've had a similar injury but no pins and needles sensation.  And tendinitis is NOT like arthritis.  It will heal.  but its terribly tricky.  I've healed it in my right knee and now just working on my left knee.

I kept a blog during the worst of it  http://memyselfnpatellartendinosis.tumblr.com/

I was pretty advanced in my yoga practice when I injured my knee.  I still take classes, but there's somethings i can't do.  It's a work in progress.  Hang in there and get an MRI. 
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline Sarah_lu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
Hi Sara,

Thanks for your reply, will check out the blog.  Was it yoga that caused your injuries?  What sort of yoga do you do and are you able to get into lotus position now?  It really worries me that I might not be able to do this again in future.  It now seems I don't have tendonitis after all...the last doctor I saw said it seems more like a torn ligament.  I'm walking much better on it now and it is definitely stronger, but I cant bend my leg fully and the lotus position still seems like it will be impossible forever!  I am going to start some gentle yoga this week though and I see how I get on...

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »
It was actually a Barre class that caused the injury.  I used to practice Bikram and other hot yogas.  The heat aggravates my left knee now but I'd like to get back to it.  I miss the practice.  Right now I'm just taking hatha classes, some vinyasa.  I can do lotus pose no problem.  I've taken Ashtanga classes but it wasn't in my regular practice.

Glad you don't have tendinitis!   Sometimes I feel I would have rather torn a ligament than have my condition.   We'll see.   Are you getting surgery if it's torn?

Yes gentle yoga is great!  I do a gentle class once a week
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline Sarah_lu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
Nothing has been mentioned about surgery, they haven't even scanned it or anything.  The doctor just said to give it time, I've now given it about 14 weeks but its still not right.  I am going to go back soon and get some more advice.  Maybe they need to scan to see exactly whats wrong or perhaps I need some physio.  I hope it wont come to surgery :(

support