Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone had MPFL reconstruction & tibial tubercle osteotomy  (Read 3619 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Has anyone had MPFL reconstruction & tibial tubercle osteotomy
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Hi there,
I have patellla instabilty and maltracking patella
My orthopeodic consultant has recommended mpfl recon & tibial tubercle osteotomy, to help with this problem,

Has anyone else had this done for the same reason? Has anyone had this done that can give me any feedback on how they are doing after the procedure?
Is there a noticable improvement in the knee, how big is the scar? How long did recovery take, is there still the same crunching noise/feeling when going up stairs etc?

I have had patella instabilty for many years with more than 20 dislocations and in the last 24 months my knees have started cruching and grinding on stairs, and when i go from sitting to standing i get a loud painful pop/crack to the medial side of the knee,

Any advice/info on these procedures would be greatly appreciated

Thanks emma
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline DawnettC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Has anyone had MPFL reconstruction & tibial tubercle osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
Hi Emma,

I just had my mpfl done on the 20th of February so I can't see my scars yet due to it still being wrapped up.  The noise that you hear in your knees is bone on bone due to not having and cartilage left under the knee cap.  I had the same problem with my left knee which caused me 13 knee surgeries.  This last one was number 14 and I hope it works cause I am getting tired of going through this.  I originally had an implant put in for my knee cap due to having no cartilage(that was done in 2006) and here lately it has decided to shift so they had to straighten it out during my surgery.

So so far no horror stories that I can give you about the mpfl.  It was also my first time having one done and I sure hope it works.  Feel free if you like to email me at [email protected] cause I am not on her everyday and we can share our stories and experiences.
Dawnett J. Cotton

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
Hi dawnettc
Thanks for your reply,
Hope your doing well after your surgery  :)

I also have patella tracking disorder (my knee cap pulls from the medial side of my knee to the outside when i bend/straighten leg)

The orthopeadic consultant said the crunching noise is the bones pulling across each other as knee cap is not running properly in the groove.

I have been given 2 options for surgery to help with the condition, mplf or mplf and tto.
I have chosen to have both procedures as they told me the could not guarentee the mplf being enough to pull the knee cap into the correct place,
Im hoping by having both procedures done this will prevent future wear to the knee and prevent the need for a knee replacement.
I am only 28 and the consultants have told me if i leave this and have no trtment i would prob need a knee replacement by the age on 35.
Im keen on having screws and biggish scars on my legs before the age of 30 and had thought about changing my mind and just having the mplf but dont know wether this will be enough, as the mplf will correct the instabilty but may/may not move the knee into a more comfortable position
Thanks emma x
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
Hi Emma,

I had an MPFL recon and TTO in July 2013. I had the surgery to correct maltracking and instability, so the same reasons as you. I agree with you having both things done together as I had just a MPFL in August 2012 and it need redoing just under a year later as it didn't hold the knee.

My scar is 8 inches long across the front of my knee. To be honest though, most people have smaller scars but due to previous surgeries my surgeon decided to do it open knee. Its probably better to ask your surgeon how big the scar will be, or to just go with it and wait and see!

As regards to recovery- I had to wear a range of motion brace for 9 weeks. I think generally its only about 4-6 weeks, but I encountered some problems. I am now 7 months post op and I'm not doing very well, so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice on recovery. But the most important thing to remember is that we are all different and although the surgery hasn't worked for me, it might turn out to be the best thing that you have ever done!

Some advice though- make sure your knee is as strong as it can be before having the surgery, this will make a huge difference to how quickly you recover and how long your in physiotherapy for after. Also, the time seems to drag on when you can't move about very easily so make sure you have some good books and films to keep you occupied. Having a shower chair is also a good idea as it makes having a shower so much easier!

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them. Hope this helps. Summer  :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
Hi summer
Thank you so much for you comment, im hoping for a speedy recovery following surgery as the surgeon wants to do the right knee when i recovered.

I couldnt decide between option 1) mpfl only or option 2) mpfl & tto, but i think after hearing that you had mpfl only and it failed so still ended up having both procedures makes me think why waste my time having mpfl only when ill prob need both doing not long after.

Sorry to hear that youve had complications at that recovery has been abit slow for you, fingers crossed your now on the road to full recovery,

Im looking to get myself an exercise bike prior to surgery to attempt to strengthen muscles in legs to help with recovery,

Im hoping to see ny orthopeadic consultant again next week to talk over the treatment options snd recovery rates again,

Many thanks for you reply xx

Offline heatherrr86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:31 AM »
Hi Emma

I'm 25 and I have the exact same problems as you! My surgeon has also suggested a MPFL and TTT.  I am booked for surgery in June.  Is your surgery scheduled yet? I feel my case is a little bit different than the normal as I don't have any day to day pain in my knee.  It actually feels totally normal - just a little unstable and then of course the maltracking issue.

Heather

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
Hi heather
Im due to have surgery late june, so looks like we will be around the same time for the surgery
Like yourself my knee was pain free until approx 24 months ago, thats when tbe popping/cracking started when going from sitting to standing. Otherwise prior to that all seemed normal with mine too.
Over the last 6 months things have got noticably worse, im struggling with going up/downstairs and even just walking on flat in general,
My knee also dislocated august 2013 (last dislocation) and it still has the swelling present from this.
Since the last dislocation my knee feels very sloppy & iv had to wear a knee support since then.

Its good that your being offered surgery prior to the pain and to symptoms occuring :)
Take care emma xx

Offline crymouth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:13 AM »
Hi Emma!

I probably won't be too much help since I just had surgery on 21 Feb but I did have both the TTO and the MPFL reconstruction.  My knees have been dislocating since I was 5 and my kneecaps sit off to the side of my knee so they grind due to the fact that they aren't sitting where they are supposed to.

Since I'm not even 2 full weeks post-op, I can't tell yet if the surgery "worked"…. I'm not allowed to put any weight on it yet or even bend it myself but it does look weird to see my kneecap sitting where it's supposed to be!  :o

I would make sure you have someone around to help you after the surgery until you figure out how to do everything on your own and get some of your energy back.  You'd be surprised how exhausting simple things like changing your clothes or going to the bathroom can be!  Also, I would install one of those shower heads with the long flexible tube that you can use as a hand-held sprayer while you are sitting…LIFE SAVER.

I kinda wish I had found this site sooner… I would have done a post-op journal but I guess there is always next time.  I'll be doing my left knee in a few months.

Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Crystal
Five years old - First dislocation
'05 - scope, loose body removal, mild meniscus repair  (after a bad rt knee dislocation)
'13 - last dislocation
Feb 21 '14 - TTO and MPFL Reconstruction (Rt knee)

Offline heatherrr86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »
Crystal - how was your recovery been so far? Curious as I am having this done in 3 months...

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
Hi crystal, glad to hear your doing well after surgery, I bet it is weird having the knee cap sit were it should, :)
It will feel great tho when you are finally allowed to bend it to not have the grind there :)
Please keep us up dated with your recovery,
Many thanks
Xx

support