Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella tendon fracture  (Read 2584 times)

Offline windowman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Patella tendon fracture
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
Hi Everyone glad I found this forum  :)

I had a patella tendon repair done on the 8th November 2013 and started off with a lightweight cast then a hinged knee brace until week 9.
I now have no knee brace and seeing phsio twice a week but still only have about 50 degrees flex which is worrying.
Phsio tell me they will have it flexing 90 degrees over the next few weeks but is this normal as we are now in week 14 and was thinking I would have been doing better by now  :'(

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Patella tendon fracture
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Windowman, sorry to hear about the injury.  Did you have a mid tear or a detachment from the kneecap?  Also, did you have the wire surgery or sutures?  And at least at 14 weeks you are thru the hard part of immobilization and healing, as we all feel your pain.  I personally would not be too worried about the 50 degrees.  We all have varying of healing and recuperation.  I had a double RPT, which had a different healing and PT process since I did not have a good leg to stand on.  The ROM will come with healing and stretching.  If you read thru the main RPT board, you will see we all things differently.  Patience is key and as John42 will tell you, trust your knees.  Welcome to the club, which with all the people on the board will attest, is pretty exclusive.

Best of Luck

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »
Welcome Windowman,

You're at the right place, so many people here who will relate to your exact issues and will give great advice.

My advice is patience and movement. You will need tons of the first and loads of the second. From my own experiences early mobilisation with little load bearing will do the power of good. You need 12 weeks or so for the main repair to be healed, but in the meantime keeping the knee mobile with no or very little weight load will bear fruit for you. Remember the RICE protocols too. Swelling caused by fluid in the joint is not your friend so lots of icing and elevation when you feel you need it. (icing should be short bursts of no more than 20 mins).

Others may contradict my views but this is what I think!

Good luck with your progress and keep us updated

Frank
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
Windowman, there are a great many different rates of progress on this forum but 50o at 14 weeks does seem slow.  I agree with Frank and Tom that it's important to keep moving.  Just going for a walk will help.  My OH used to drive me to the supermarket at a quiet time and I could practise walking on a level surface out of the wind and rain.  In the States they can do mall walking but we're a bit short of malls where I live.  You can use a trolley for protection/stability.

Here are two things I used to do to help extend my ROM:

1.  I got hold of an old skateboard and I'd put my repaired leg onto it and use my good side foot to slide the skateboard to and fro, trying to go a bit further each day.

2.  My physiotherapist lent me a Swiss ball and I'd sit on that and roll forward and back while keeping my feet on the floor to bend and stretch my knees.  You can buy those from Argos, Amazon, eBay etc.

Several of us also used floor pedallers, little mini bike things that you use while sitting on your own chair.  You won't be able to go all the way round yet but you can try that later on.

Hope this helps, Sella.

Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline windowman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Thank you for the replies 8)

I have just had a peddler delivered but like you say cannot get the pedals all the way around so just go backwards and forwards.
Been for two short walks today and done loads of exercises but still feel stiff ::)
How long did it take for you to be able to drive ?

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Windowman,   Fishy here.  And let me be among those here that have welcomed you to this exclusive club.  Lots of good advice from the others, I can only restate that which has been said multiple times before... Patience, RICE, question everything, patience.  I am a double RPT 41 weeks into the process....67 yo male.  12 weeks in braces, 135degrees approx. both legs.  We all have had successes, set backs, pains, etc. just stay in the process, keep posting and listen to your legs.....  Bob

Offline windowman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

I have an appointment with the consultant tomorrow but all I get from him is that I need to bend it more :o
I am at that stage that I really don't know what more I can do ?
I am doing my exercises and walking a fair bit and just got a mini bike and see physio twice a week.
At a loss really :-\

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Hi windowman, I think I started driving at about 15/16 weeks, though when I first went back to work my husband drove me to save me having to find a parking space.

How did you get on with the consultant?  Have you asked your physiotherapist about scar tissue build up?

You may just find that you suddenly make good progress.  Many of us go in fits and starts.

Keep smiling, Sella.

Offline windowman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
Hi SellaVee

Yes consultant was very happy and said just to stick at the pysio twice a week.
I can now move the leg around 80 degrees so getting better and drove my car for the first time Tuesday.
A few days later I drove my van but that is much harder because of the driving position :)

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Great improvement, windowman.  Well done.

Offline windowman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
Four months after operation and improving rom slowly but does it get to a point where its as good as it gets ?

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
Yes, it does, but you're a long way from the endpoint.  This injury has a 6 - 12 month rehab period.  I'll be 8 months out from my surgery tomorrow and I'm still making progress.  If you're working your leg at home, in addition to your physio session twice a week, you should get there.  My physiotherapist wasn't all that concerned about ROM.  She was more concerned about strength and gait, ie walking well without a limp.  You have to work on extension as well as flexion, and on building up strength in your quads.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:21 AM »
Hey Windowman,  this is a process with no firm destination.  Your recovery will depend on your voracity.  My PT at week 43 is divided between the gym and the pool.  I use the gym for machine and free weights along with the elliptical.  I use the pool for improving my gait, stretching, ROM, and just because it feels good. The hot tub at the end of the pool session is amazing.  My PT doc (a VA doc with many RPT patents) say realistically, anything 80 percent or thereabouts is a good result.  I am 67 yo male, a many times over marathon runner. and have been a gym rat for thirty years (muscle tone more than mass).  I am walking "normally", squatting almost normally, going up stairs normally, down stairs not so normally, and forget running.  I will accept whatever my final results are for a double RPTer....and be thankful for the journey....take care all,   Bob