Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: chondromalacia  (Read 2874 times)

Offline gvaughn42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
chondromalacia
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
Hi Everyone,  Well I am now a full year past my MPFL reconstruction and lateral release.  It has been a very tough recovery and I still struggle.  Still cant run or jump and stairs are becoming much more painful.  So much so that I recently went back to my surgeon for an MRI and to discuss my lack of strength and pain.  After review of the MRI he told me that I will need to have a procedure called a chondroplasty to repair and smooth my patellar cartilage and some of the cartilage on my femer.  Needless to say I am bummed.  I am seeking information and advice regarding this procedure, recovery, etc.  Any info is welcomed.  Thanks.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: chondromalacia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
Have you tried or considered other methods than this surgery? Have you asked for a second opinion?

What he/she wants to do is go there with a shaver and trim down pieces of cartilage breaking a apart and smooth it down so it flows better, but it also means that you will have less cartilage in the end... unless he plans to also do some micro-fracture (regenerates a low quality cartilage type that could last a couple of years).

Other options you have is Hyaluronic acid, which is like adding good fluid to the joint in order to prevent more damage from friction and make motion more easy. That could reduce the pain.

Other options are PRP (not paid by insurance), in this case they take some of your blood, spin to separate growth factors, and inject back into your joint. This should in theory help cartilage grow back, even though it's effect is actually limited. However it can improve functionality and reduce pain by other ways (not totally explained), but seems to improve pain scores.

The only real solution for your case (the only that might actually solve the problem) is the DeNovo procedure, where they insert donor cartilage with high potential of growth because it comes from young donors. Perhaps you could check with a doctor who does this procedure to see if you are a candidate. If you are it could be the best solution.

If everything else fails, you might have to consider a knee replacement somewhere down the road (partial or total depending on the circumstances).

However don't rest yet, most doctors typically go for the same old procedures school like the one you mention... get a second opinion from those who think outside the box...

support