Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella tracking disorder & patella instabilty  (Read 565 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Patella tracking disorder & patella instabilty
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
Hi there.
Im a 28 year old female.
I have just been diagnosed with patella tracking disorder and patella instabilty.
I have suffered 14 years of patella dislocations i have had more than 20 dislocations with each knee.
My orthopeodic consultant said ideally i need to have mpfl reconstruction and an osteotomy,
Has any one got any experience of either of these procedures? 
Are both procedures really necessary?
I have tried physio in the past but it hasnt really helped,
The symptoms im experiencing are crunching/grinding on bending/ straightening knee & going up & down stairs. Also when i go from sitting to standing i get a big crack/pop on the medial side of my knee.
Any advice or info woud be appreciated,
Thanks emma
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline steve39

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Patella tracking disorder & patella instabilty
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:30 AM »
What is causing the instability and mal-tracking? Have you had X-rays or MRI?
Is the popping due to IT band tightness? Was the IT band checked out?
What did physio have to say?

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Patella tracking disorder & patella instabilty
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
Steve39,
I have had mri and xrays taken, iv seen 2 seperate consultants, the first said its too difficult for me snd refered me to a consultant who deals with more complex knee cases.

Iv had this problem since i was aged14 yrs and the consultant at the time said it was triggered by a growth spirt and i would grow out of it.? 14 yrs on i havent grown out of it and i now how a significate amount of crunching/gringing coming from the knee joint, Iv had physio on and off for many years but it just doesnt help. Now the knees are popping is so bad im struggling to do the physio excersises,

i have a shallow groove with in the knee joint and my knee cap pulls from the inside to outside of my knee when bending and straightening. this is the main cause, also my mpfl has become stretched due to the amount of dislocations,

I know one procedure they offered was a mpfl for the instabilty and the other i believe was a tibial tubercle osteotomy tor the tracking disorder but not completely sure of the second as i heard osteotomy and dismissed this option straight away, but now i feel maybe that was abit hasty & i am due to return to my orthopeodic consultant to rediscuss options as i now feel if the second procedure maybe was a tibia tubercle osteotomy as he mentioned moving my knee cap and not the bigger osteotomy, if that was the procedure offered i may go for that procedure combined with a mpfl,
Thanks
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty