Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI Results are in from soccer injury - Feedback  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI Results are in from soccer injury - Feedback
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
FINALLY got some answers today after getting injured January 11th 2014. Ive been off crutches for about 2 weeks with a bad limp but not to much pain. MRI results are as follows:

1.Extensive Bone Marrow edema within proximal tibia and femoral condyles bilaterally. Also bone marrow edema along inferior patella
2.Osteochondral Defect of the lateral femoral condyle due to trama
3. Horizontal Flap tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus
4. Horizontal flap tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus
5. Joint space narrowing within the medial compartment
6. Joint effusion present
7. increased signal intensity along superior attachment of ACL to intercondylar notch due to underlying tear of the ACL
8. there is Fluid superficial and deep to the medial collateral ligament due to sprain
9. there is fluid along the medial patellar retinaculum which could be due to an underlying tear versus sprain

basically he told me my acl is torn as well as the meniscus. I was ordered to 4 weeks of physical therapy before a follow up in a month to schedule reconstruction surgery of ACL. Im familiar with ACL tears from having freinds get injured but im not to keen o the miniscus stuff and what it means. Any feed back on what to expect of for decyphering the MRI results any better is appreciated! cant wait till this is over and im running again!

The one question i had was about the size of my injured leg. my quad is SO SKINNY i feel like and has no muscle definiton now. im guessing that because i cant flex my leg and straighten all the way that the muscle hasnt been used in a while? is this normal? Will the muscle come back quickly? Im starting Pre-op physical therapy later this week. hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:52:44 PM by Matthew24, Reason: add info »

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: MRI Results are in from soccer injury - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »
from the sound of things I wouldn't expect you to return to soccer in the next 8 months but I have seen a few ppl come back from this sort of injury who I have played with. I would imagen they will just clean your meniscus up and clean out the joint.
The problem you have with your quads is very common when your leg is inactive for so long.. It does come back but takes hard work and alot of time, it is catch 22 situation realy because even tho you want to hammer the exersize to build them up you are not aloud and have o keep things at a steady pace to avoid further injury. good luck with your surgery and return o soccer
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
ACL,PCL,MCL Reconstruction.....Sept 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.
PCL,MCL reconstruction..... Sept 2013.
Currently doing home workouts and have pcl laxity.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
thanks man. i thought 8 months might be a little optimistic as well. As of right now he said they would just be doing the ACL reconstruction and that the meniscus should heal on its own. im not familiar with meniscus injuries or how they heal. hope it doesnt turn into an issue in the future. overall im pretty happy to at least have a rough timetable of whats to come.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 367
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
Good information about the meniscus here.  Meniscus injuries don't usually heal, they can potentially be repaired, depending in where, your age, the state of the tissue.  They usually trim away the torn bits.  It doesn't grow back and unfortunately this can expose you to bone damage down the line

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/meniscus-primer

I should think with that amount of damage, you'll need a year of rehab before football from posts on here

The thing that I would want to know about is the defect on the thigh bone, where it is, weight bearing, non weight bearing and also the size and depth of it.  This will not heal and you may have no issues, but you may do.  I have the same and it is still a problem 4 years on. I can't kneel nor run, I do have other cartilage issues in my knee but it's the pothole that is the issue (albeit mine filled in with scar tissue naturally)

There are ACL and joint cartilage primers too http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers

Good luck with the recovery,  don't try to rush back to sport. Follow the surgeon and physio instructions to the letter :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:26:11 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
Thank you fo the links. i will read up on them now. i wonder if the meniscus tears just cant be simply corrected surgically so thats why he played the "wait and see" card.

by defect on thigh bone im assuming that refers to "Osteochondral Defect of the lateral femoral condyle due to trama"

The dr did not elaborate to much on this but he kinda generalized that alot of the issues listed in MRI report were due to severe bone bruising? I dont have any weight bearing pain whatsoever and i can stand on my bad leg by itself and bend a little bit before it gets shaky.

When flexing my knee i get severe pressure (medium pain) when i flex past 90 degrees. My bad leg almost goes all the way straight but not quite and it begins to hurt if left straight too long. the straightening issue causes my limp too. my leg just wont kick out naturally when starting a new step. hopefully physio will improve all this stuff, i think it will, its been getting better every day. i can go up and down stairs now as well(down is harder).

I wish i knew what actually happened during my injury(like if my leg bent inwards, something dislocated for a second etc...) . i meant to ask the doctor if he could propose a guess based on the mri images but i forgot. I cant remember too much about my injury but i remember laying on the ground thinking my foot was gonna be pointed the wrong direction lol. thank god that wasnt the case. I even asked someone if it was ok to look at it lol.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
btw vickster that meniscus primer page is perfect for info. thank you mucho!

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 367
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
Yes, the osteochondral defect.  The femoral condyle is the knobbly bit on the bottom of the thigh.  Lateral is the one on the outside of the knee :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
well i found this. maybe my patella dislocated. maybe this would explain the incredibly weird sensation i had at point of injury and why i thought my knee was out of place or in the wrong direction at first. then it could have popped back on its own from rolling around on the ground.  just a thought

"The typical bone bruise pattern involving the anterolateral femoral condyle and inferomedial patella after transient lateral dislocation of the patella is a well-described MRI finding. In our study, however, we sought to determine the incidence and location of lateral femoral condyle osteochondral injuries after transient lateral dislocation of the patella.

CONCLUSION. Osteochondral defects of the lateral femoral condyle are a common sequela after transient lateral patellar dislocation. A significant number of osteochondral injuries involve the midlateral weight-bearing portion of the lateral femoral condyle and are more posterior than would be expected after transient dislocation of the patella"

http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.05.1471

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
So far i had been seing my ortho and he said lets do the aclr surgery and refered me to his partner who perfoms the reconstruction. When i met with him he said that my knee was feeling alot more stable and was not giving way to normal ACL tests he performed. he couldnt explain why but said we should hold off and he advised me to try and start running. So i have been, at least 5 miles a week. i cant beleive how good it feels now. at first it was tender and sore  during and after running but after a week that all went away. I had been doing PT hard since about the 6 week mark after my injury. its now been exactly 3 months and 1 week since i tore my acl and i feel like im back to about 85%. I can cut on the injured leg, although with a bit of hesitation. no buckling tho. i can sprint now at full speed and Shoot a soccer ball with both feet.

my doctor now says if i feel good that i can try returning to sports. I play casually so im by no means putting the stress on my body of a collegiate or professional athlete but im still perplexed that i can possibly avoid surgery and still be able to play soccer and hike. this is just weird to me considering how bad the injury felt when it happened and long it took to get full ROM back. Has anyone else experienced this with an ACL tear? are my doctors recommendations for resuming normal activity unless i run into a roadblock wreckless? im all for avoiding surgery but i dont wanna get my hopes up to high. im thinking of playing in a 6v6 match next wednesday so i can tell my dr how it went on my next appointment may 9th.  i know hes gonna ask me if i tried to play yet.

support