Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OUCH! Hello ACL recon issues  (Read 695 times)

Offline Zombie_Vampire_Ghost

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
OUCH! Hello ACL recon issues
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
Greetings everyone! This year I decided to have my right knee fixed since my ACL was torn and my meniscus (medial) was torn. I originally injured it in October of 2007 BMXin' and smashed my knee upon bail on a stair and that was a world of gnarly pain *cough* until this surgery!!! I also had a few more incidents considering I did not get an MRI I continued to BMX until late 2009 and even ran track but had extremely bothersome pain but I was taking prescribed 15mg Oxycontins but I would always get awkward sensations in my knee of it "popping out".

February 7th I had surgery (I am in US of A in Arizona but from Europe) I wasn't nervous about it at all with exemption I HATE needles despite I have lots of tattoos ha. Everything went well and 20 hours later the nerve blocker wore off and I was having anxiety issues which lead to shallow breathing so I did not take my medications and was in the most pain I have ever felt in my life. 48 hours after surgery I took my medications 10/325 percocets and naproxen for assistance with subsiding the swelling.

Here is where I think things are odd 4 days after my surgery they had me in PT I have great 0 straight and can do towel roll exercises with great strength I could only get 40 degrees of flexion however. My second PT session I got to 95 degrees and was doing leg lifts with comfort but flexion was stop very poor (I got it to 95 doing heel slide exercise but with a strap and on 3 10/325s to kill pain and it was still hurting me extremely bad at say 8/10 to 9/10 because I didn't want to swear and scream and make the senior people at PT alarmed) I told my PT how it was bothering me but he insisted we continue. My 3rd session we got it to 107 flexion again doing heel slides I was in agonising pain off 10/325s x3 so I knew something was bad!

I was in too much pain and saw the doctor twice before it was drained and haven't been to PT since, when I got it drained 48 hours ago it didn't help as the previous night it had a nasty "dangling" feeling when I would walk with crutches. Now I can't even walk and slight movements hurt so bad, there is no signs of infection but it's where the holes and screws are and it makes me scream my head off and I'm having a bit of anxiety with all this as now when I need to use the rest room I know how much agony I will need to endure to scoot on my arse to the bathroom :( my parents and GF feel helpless they can't help me and I'm unsure what to do but I've been elevating on my "adult pillow fort" ha at 45 degrees and icing it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem of excruciating pain and your knee being unbendable even the slightest flexion puts me in a world of hurt.

Also I apologise if my spelling and sentences run on I'm medicated and spaced out a bit.

Cheers and thanks all.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: OUCH! Hello ACL recon issues
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
Do a search on "ACL reconstruction" and "blood rush" and you will see it is a fairly common occurrence. The more frequently you move then quicker the pain will decrease. However, getting over that first hurdle is quite a test of mind over matter.  :(

The key is to keep on top of the pain medication; do not miss the time to take it even if it means waking up in the middle of the night. Use the alarm app on your phone for example, to remind you especially in the periods leading up to your physio appointments. Always make sure you are as close to the middle of your pain control  period if you can when you actually start work with the physio.

Also while you elevate make sure you are doing ankle pumps like there is no tomorrow if you don't. Imagine you are trying to use a foot pump to blow up a swim ring for the Titanic  ;D
Ice 15 to 20 minutes every hour as well - it is called RICE (Rest, ICE Compression and Elevation for a reason you know!  ;) ) Icing elevation and ankle pumps all help reduce the swelling which in turn will make the flexion exercises easier. Another thing is make sure that the knee is not bent during elevation by having nothing under it. This creates a passive hang which works wonders with helping your extension!

As for the physio pushing you into pain - ask for another! Pain is a symptom of something not being right, pushing through it and in turn making it worse is not the sign of being gnarly or anything else, it is your body saying THIS DOES NOT WORK as loudly as it can. Some post-operative pain is usual and pushing lightly beyond means that each time you advance a little bit more. But a physio who is causing you so much pain is actually doing more harm than good whether they know it or not.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Zombie_Vampire_Ghost

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: OUCH! Hello ACL recon issues
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
@Kaputt_Knee thank you for the response and I must say W0WZERZ at your signature so many surgeries yet you went back to skiing (that's so amazing/inspiring to me, it would be a dream come true to BMX again, snowboard and sprint run)

I did do some searching actually and it lead me here and on a few other reads.  I have been following the RICE technique religiously and doing ankle pumps (3 minutes per hour), alphabet draw hourly, ankle rotations 3 mins right, 3 mins left rotation. Now I was able to do leg raises 72~ hours ago until I had to go to the doctor to have it drained in which they pulled 30mL out of it.

I somewhat laughed at myself about the on top of pain medications this is where I made a flaw as the first 48 hours post op is the most painful and strenuous. I'm unsure if the combo of morphine with anesthetic followed by x2 10/325 oxycodones 8 hours later was a cocktail in my stomach waiting to be brewed into disaster! It gave me severe breathing problems and hiccups I couldn't even eat quarter of a ritz cracker, take a slight sip of water or else it would give me hiccups on top of my already breathing depression issues. About 3 hours in I was getting anxiety really bad from it and started to cry and had my dad and GF hold my hands cause I seriously thought I was going to turn in :(

I did tell my doctor about this and he brushed it off as my anxiety getting the best of me and stated most people who have anxiety suffer the same issues. I haven't had my anxiety or depression medications (Xanax bars and Remeron) for a year and have been doing great without them.

Since over coming the breathing depression issue and determining it wasn't the pain medications I have continued usage of them. I will take your advice and stay more on top of it as sometimes I can go 10-11 hours without them but then I will hurt in the A.M. when I awake. It has however been more controllable but I still need to drag my arse around to go use the bathroom.

I also have ABG brand MS Contin 15mgs which are a fairly small dose and was recommended to take them with my 10/325 oxycodones (percocets) I will be totally honest this makes me a little nervous as I lost my best friend to heroine so I'm not much a fan of needing to consume narcotics. Upon googling they say it's safe to combine both (I know MS Contin has some stuff that OxyContin contains and I've safely consumed 15mg oxycontins). Our bodies vary as to how they are affected by these substances but I wanted a general idea of how this combo has made anyone else feel? I can handle the "head turn" with my current meds but I'm more nervous about vomiting or worse yet breathing depressions.

Again sorry if I'm a bit air headed on my replies and such usually my English is superior and very correct but my meds kinda throw that off.

I appreciate the response(s) and support this forum is extemely helpful!

Also side notes I forgot to include at some point!
•Leg is elevated at 45 degrees with no support behind knee this has given me and continues the awesome 0 degrees straight without issue.
•22 years of age, male and have been on pain management substances since 2007 when I was  15 years of age