Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial rupture of Patella Tendon?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline steve39

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Partial rupture of Patella Tendon?
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
I hit my tendon about 1/4-1/2" below the kneecap on a piece of tile I did not see. Since then I've had pain (7 weeks) and tendonitis. My kneecap started maltracking with a tight IT band.
The X-rays should kneecap slightly tilted but not too abnormal and kneecap perhaps a little higher than normal (according to Orthopedic surgeon).

Two weeks after PT started, doing a little better. My main problem is pain under kneecap area when walking. Seems to be same area I hit doing the tile work. Could I have damaged the tendon? I hurt real bad when it happened. I just pivoted while on the ground and put knee down on it- it blended in and I lost the knee cushion I was using at the time. Go figure.

Anyway, could this just be leftover pain from tendonitis? How long will it take to go away? IT Band getting better at least, easing rest of pain. Doctor said come back in two months and if not better, then do more testing- but not sure what I should be looking for, because if it is damaged, then I do not want to wait. I have 6 more weeks of PT.
Thanks

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Partial rupture of Patella Tendon?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:12:40 AM »
Hi Steve39, Fishy here.  My opinion is you need a 2nd opinion....you doc seems to be indifferent...personal experience:  had a 'trip' down two stairs landing on both knees...went to emergency room and doc said looks like a sprain (no xray, MRI, zip)...and two days later while I am walking to my car after a hour of hydrotherapy I ruptured both quads.... get thee to a doc that will do more extensive evaluation....  Bob

Offline steve39

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Partial rupture of Patella Tendon?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:23:47 AM »
Hi Fishy,

I may call him in the next few weeks if it does not improve. It is a little worse today after PT yesterday
and a ramp up of strengthening exercises- starter a few easy squats with tightening electrodes on inner quad.

I can get a sharp pain right below/under knee cap. Sometimes it is when I am sitting/not moving. Yesterday I had to kneel a bit (did so on soft padded surface) and the pain was fairly extreme right as I was getting up off the ground. Could there be bursitis in there? There has been some mild, squishy red swelling at times over the knee cap. I ask because of all the kneeling I did with the porcelain tile work. The pain would ease at night when at it's worst as well. Doctor seems to think the pain/swelling would be inches lower from the patella, but I see different online. Thanks.