Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI verses Arthroscopy  (Read 4875 times)

Offline mattrg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI verses Arthroscopy
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »

I had an MRI a year ago those showed minor cartilage tear and got PT for it.
Since the fall it's gotten worse seemly just with use. There's been a definite change
after shoveling for 30 min last week. Could damage really be done that fast without
an acute injury?

Would an arthroscopy be called for? I've heard they show more than MRI's.

2006 start to feel heaviness affect joints when running
8/5/2012 trouble standing over an hour
Winter/2013 dull aches on and off
Winter/2013 tender to touch under kneecap
Winter/2013 pressure like an object constantly pressing against joints between the patella and medial ligaments
Winter/2013 immense weakness feeling, no pain associated
Spring/2013 MRI shows possible tear in right knee. therapy done over summer
8/9/2013 trouble standing longer than 40 minutes
Recently dull pain and soreness after shoveling for 30 minutes, discomfort sleeping

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MRI verses Arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
Unfortunately yes, my small lateral tear got worse over 5 months, ground away as was trapped in the joint. Do you have any issues with straightening, buckling or pain alone?  Also how old are you? Unfortunately, the meniscus tissue starts to degenerate from the age of 30 if not younger.  Mine is in quite a sorry state aged 41, as I have a new tear with no known injury

Arthroscopy isn't really a diagnostic tool. For meniscus issues, it is probably better to avoid for as long as possible if joint functioning ok. MRIs are a much less invasive tool, although meniscus tears can be hard to diagnose.

You are best to discuss options with your surgeon
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline mattrg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »

I'm 33 and luckily so far no issues with with straightening, buckling or pain.  But I've certainly reduced my activity to keep it from declining even faster. It's harder to do the weaker it feels. It's like there's less it can take the longer this goes on. I want to delay surgery as much as possible but I also don't want to keep going if I am only making things worse for the future.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
Getting a camera there is a far better way to see what's in there, but I am not sure if you will benefit from the aggression at all.

Once you start cutting or making holes, things tend to only get worse...

Offline mattrg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:43:15 AM »

Going back for check up tomorrow. Doctor said it was inflammation only. 
Can't really tell it's inflammed to look at it but I've been doing PT and on naproxen since last I posted
 and things seem to have leveled out for a bit which is actually pretty great for now.

Offline mattrg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:59 AM »
 Good news the inflammation has been steady and the knees can get stronger I just have to be careful.
I aggravated my right knee with lots of driving over the weekend.

Any advice on job interviewing in this state? I'm a teacher and been using a document camera for my class this term. But with my knees being unpredictable I am not sure how to address this if I make it through to the 2nd round of interviews and they have me teach a class. They will probably figure it out tomorrow anyway when I'm using my everyday sneakers and not formal dress shoes to interview.