Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Femoral derotational osteotomy with labrum repair  (Read 5560 times)

Offline skatingrn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Femoral derotational osteotomy with labrum repair
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
Hello there! I wanted to try and connect with some people who have gone through femoral osteotomies as a young adult. I am a competitive figure skater who was diagnosed with a left labrum tear this past fall. While doing pre-op measurements of my MRI scans, the doctors noticed that I had a lot of femoral anteversion. A 3D CT scan showed that I have 50 degrees of anteversion. (Apparently I shouldn't be able to do what I do on skates!) They will not repair the torn labrum without correcting the anteversion as the fear is the labrum will tear again due to the pressure being put on it by the twisted femur head. I've read a few topics written by others on the site that have had years of knee, tibia and hip problems. While I can definitely relate to the years of knee pain and tendinitis and low back problems, finding out that I needed these surgeries was a complete surprise. I'm currently scheduled to go for multidisciplinary consultations at the Mayo Clinic and Boston Children's Hospital next month. There is very little information to be found online for 20 something year old patients and what few personal accounts I have read have ranged from horrifying experiences of zero pain control to feeling like it really wasn't a bad experience at all. Any advice, experiences, suggestions or flat out encouragement would be appreciated as I feel like I'm being forced into a year of surgeries I would rather not have!

Offline CoCanuck

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Femoral derotational osteotomy with labrum repair
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:46 AM »
Hi there!

It sounds like you and I are somewhat similar.  I have a torn labrum on the right and bilateral anteverted femurs (although not as much as yours - mine are 30 and 32 degrees).

I am having arthroscopic surgery to repair my labrum in early May and then, 5 days later, a derotational femoral osteotomy.  The osteotomy was my choice, so to speak.  My surgeon told me I am right at the cut-off for the degree of anteversion he would do surgery on.  He couldn't really say whether my anteversion caused the tear (I also have boderline hip dysplasia as well, CE angle of 26 degrees) but it may have.  In the end I decided to do the osteotomy in the hopes of reducing the amount of osteoarthritis in my hip as I age.  I found research that says that anteverted femurs are associated with OA and I'm hoping to help with my knee pain and perhaps, decrease my odds of a hip replacement when I'm older.

You are absolutely right.  Most of the information I've found is on children and people with CP.  I am neither.  I am an otherwise healthy 35 year old who is moderately active and has a highly physical job.

I'm told I'll have an epidural for the osteotomy but just pain pills for the scope. I've heard of some people having nerve blocks for the scope.  Some say that they did just fine with just pills, others say they wish they had had a block.

I am going to reach out to some other patients that have had the same surgery through my surgeons office.  They have stated that they will provide me with their contact information.  You might ask if yours would do the same.

I'd love to hear from people like us (adults) who have had these procedures.  I'm sure we're not alone!

support