Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mpfl torn and cruicate torn  (Read 1645 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Mpfl torn and cruicate torn
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
I'm in my late 20s and a professional athlete, I was having like 20 dislocations in a period of 8 months, I saw two doctors first who kept passing me back and forth because they couldn't come up with a medical diagnosis so I said I'm an athlete and I don't expect to have my knee dislocate and me knee to be around 70 cm big while my other knee is half of that. I went to the surgeon who was in utter disgust of  how was I still managing to train he was also shocked and how swollen my knee was and he could feel a lot of the ligaments because of it so he looked at my MRI  ? my knee it had a very negative abnormal j sign, torn mpfl ligament, torn cruicate ligament and issues with the back of the patella.... My questions are what is the recovery time after surgery of having new ligaments to replace the old ones,, What is a j sign and finally I've tried everything to bring down the swelling but nothing is working tried ice, ibropfuen, gels, and stronger painkillers that the doctor gave me any ideas much appreciated
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:06:53 AM by lucha86 »

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Mpfl torn and cruicate torn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Hey fiona,
my advice would be to immediately stop training even if it is hard to give up because all the strain on your knee isn't helping anything and only making it worse and risking other injury.  I don't know what a j sign is but I know torn ligaments are a pretty nasty thing to encounter, as for the swelling this takes time to go down and lots of rest otherwisel ice and medication won't  work.(speaking from experience)
recover from torn ligaments differ depending on the situation, an acl rupture alone is estimated between 6-9 months recovery to get back to sports and combined ligament ruptures can take twice as long as that and some people may not recover enough to return to sport depending on surgery success and effort put in afterwards. The best thing to do is speak to your consultant and try to come to some sort of an arrangement  to have surgery if you are planning on returning to any type of active sports(if this option is availible)

I am no expert but speak from personal experience so feel free to take my advice with a pinch of salt and good luck with your recovery
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
ACL,PCL,MCL Reconstruction.....Sept 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.
PCL,MCL reconstruction..... Sept 2013.
Currently doing home workouts and have pcl laxity.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
I know.. I went back to a doctor to get some pain Meds to stop the pain who then informed me of the notes the doctor wrote which seem a lot worse than he actually told me. So have to wait and see now  :-[
 I am just working with a pt now to work my upper body with no effect on my lower so I can still maintain a level of fitness .... But I just want to really know what a j sign is but  every time the doctors prods and pokes my knee it makes it worse so roll on  a couple of weeks   :o I'm just very uneasy because it's my first surgery and I don't know how hard it is after surgery with repairing a torn cruicate and  mpfl

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
After surgery isn't too painful especially if you keep on top of your meds, it is more uncomfortable and a hassle realy. as for the surgery you shouldn't worry it as you will be asleep and awake before tou know it and when you come round you don't feel a thing because of the drugs haha. I was fit and very active when I did my injury and the worst part of all of  this  is feeling unfit and in active but when I can I will be getting back in shape.
also from what I can gather a j sign is a term used when viewing the movement of the patella when your leg goes from flexion to extention, this is just a quick observation  I'm pretty sure there will be something on YouTube
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:45:35 PM by JFisher3 »
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »
i work out with my trainer at the gym... who has 12 years experience as a pt and she she saw my knee cap move over the complete width of her hand right over to the side of my leg, with no weight on the leg at all  and she is only doing upper body workouts with me with no pressures on my knee.. so fingers crossed this surgery will happen sooner than later, its the swelling im trying to control that is the biggest issue right now and it keeps cracking feels like i got a dagger in my knee for the past two days and their painful that their lock my knee up, so who knows what the surgeon will find when they operate  :-X

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
I am 5 months out of my second op and still get a fair bit of swelling known as edema, it doesn't bother me too much because I am use to it now haha..
good luck and speedy recover
PCL,MCL failed.

support