Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What is up with my knee...?  (Read 715 times)

Offline ryan7727

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What is up with my knee...?
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to see if anyone knows what might be wrong with my knee. I'm 27, male, reasonably active and of average build/weight. For about the last 3.5 years I've had pain on and off around the patella area in my left knee. I think it started because of running, and it's been made worse due to a number of occasions when i've been on crutches because of issues with my right ankle and the knee has been taking all the weight. Here are the symptoms:

- pain right in the centre/front of my knee if my leg is at 90 degrees for a prolongned period when sitting
- pain in the same place if i'm lying in bed face down i.e. with the weight of my leg on my kneecap
- can feel and hear it clicking when fully extending from a 90 degree position
- sharp pain sometimes when going down stairs

What I find strange is that it will generally be ok during periods when I excercise (run) regularly, but then if I stop excercising for a few weeks, that is wierdly when it is most likely to become sore. I've noticed it also gets sore if I have been walking a lot in formal shoes, or relatively flat shoes with not a lot of support.

I currently have a Donjoy Reaction brace which seems to solve the pain if I wear it for a day or 2, and I've started running with this on. It's never been so bad that I've gone to see a doctor/physio but the issues have been around for a while and don't seem to get any better! Any ideas anyone? Thanks for any advice!

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: What is up with my knee...?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Sounds like patellofemoral syndrome, which is usually caused by a muscle imbalance. It might help going to a physiotherapist to get some exercises to help it.
knee pain since very young
2008 - diagnosed with patella tilt
2010 - partial meniscectomy

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: What is up with my knee...?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »
Hi

Your knee is a very valuable limb - so a visit to the doctors is the first priority -

Take care and keep us advised of the outcome

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support