Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Woo finally some hope?  (Read 899 times)

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Woo finally some hope?
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Hi all,
After years of knee problems and several surgeons scratching their heads my consultant has decided to operate again with the hope of improving my knee. He is going to do a stem cell cartilage repair. Has anyone had this and could give any idea of what to expect in terms of recovery and outcomes? I know there's no long term results but wonder if anyone has any experience of stem cell surgery?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Woo finally some hope?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
Do you mean a maci repair? Where they take some cells, grow more in the lab and then implant back into defect on knee? If in the uk, I think you are? This is the option available. If you search for aci or maci you should find threads. Be aware it's a big operation, rather painful with a long rehab. Protocols vary based on which bone is being repaired, where in the knee. You'll want a surgeon with lots of experience and also a physio knowledgeable about the rehab

Good luck :)

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Its not a MACI repair, he was going to do that but currently in the UK there's a funding issue. From what I understand this op involves taking stem cells from the pelvis then implanting them on a patch in the knee in a similar way to a MACI but with stem cells. I cant really seem to find anything about it or anyone has had it so was just wondered if anyone on here had?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Where in the UK are you?

The only thing similar I know of is OATS/mosaicplasty, although cartilage plugs are normally taken from elsewhere in the knee rather than the hip (pelvic bone grafts are used in other ops though)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
I am in Norwich but my surgeon is in Coventry as they do no kind of cartilage repair/regeneration in Norfolk and would only do a replacement.
I have spent ages googling and cant seem to find anyone who has had this op!  I can find about stem cell injections but my surgeon explained it as like a MACI but using stem cells and all done in one op. I knew I should have asked more questions at the time but its only later you think of them all!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Perhaps email the surgeon?  If private,  you should get a swift reply, less so if NHS.  Have you looked at his website as they often have the operations done detailed

When is the op being done? 

My OS and I discussed AMIC in the past - which microfracture with a scaffold over the top in a single op.  This does sound different again.  Is it part of a trial?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
It's NHS but actually my OS has been really good at replying to emails and having phone conversations, because I'm in Norwich and he in Coventry it's easier than face to face appointments.
I have got to arrange a date with his secretary tomorrow so am not sure when yet although as there is  no waiting list involved it should be sooner rather than later. I don't think it's part of a trial although he did explain there are no long term results as its a procedure that's only been done in the last couple of years. I'm happy its definitely worth a try as nothing to lose but would just be nice to read or hear some stories of people who had the same thing! Have you had the AMIC or MACI surgery in the past? From what he told me its similar recovery, 6 weeks in a brace, 2-3 months off work etc.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
No, I never had a repair.  I had the harvest scope (after a long battle for funding from my then insurer) but the surgeon wouldn't proceed as I had softening on the tibia opposite too and am mildly knock kneed. 

Unfortunately, the degeneration in my knee has worsened, as well as having another meniscus tear so the cartilage repair ship has sailed.  I have had another hyaluronic acid injection and am trying regular anti inflammatories and trying to ignore the knee!

All the best :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
Thanks you too, know that trying to ignore the knee feeling!

support