Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: IT Band Problems After Distal Femoral Osteotomy  (Read 950 times)

Offline eme252

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
IT Band Problems After Distal Femoral Osteotomy
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:49:35 AM »
Hi,

New here, hoping to gain some wisdom. I had a DFO, osteochondral allograft transplant and meniscus repair on the lateral side of my right knee in November 2013, done by Dr. Gomoll at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

At about the 10 week mark, my rehabilitation could not have been going better -- great ROM, full weight bearing after 6 weeks, fairly normal gait and the pains associated with my formerly damaged lateral femoral condyle vanquished.

So at about that time I moved back to New York City to start a new job. Dr. Gomoll assured me I was ready to go and things would only get more comfortable. And they were going great until I was fooling around with a girl and I woke up the next morning with an extremely stiff, achey and tender knee

That was about 3 weeks ago and the pain has persisted since, diminishing at times but consistently flaring up. Worried, I saw Dr. Gomoll who assured me I hadn't screwed up my meniscus or plate, but that these awful sensations were the result of the plate rubbing against my IT band; he added that this problem os fairly common for osteotomy patients who have had the procedure done on the lateral side of their knee, and it tends to last for about a month.

Reassurances aside, this is f*ing awful, especially because before this flare up (which has lasted 3 weeks now), I did not have a single problem associated with my recovery. While not in unbearable pain, my knee now constantly feels stiff and painful when I both sit and stand. It's also extremely tender to the touch on the lateral side. Going up and down stairs can be painful. At this point I can't wait to get this f*ing plate out, but that won't be for at least 6 more months. As of now, I'm extremely uncomfortable every day, and it doesn't help that I live in New York where walking is ubiquitous.

For DFO people: has this happened to you? What have you done to alleviate it? Does this s**t go away?

Warm regards,
Eli