Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondroplasty and Lateral Release scheduled for Both Knees  (Read 900 times)

Offline mndyoga

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty and Lateral Release scheduled for Both Knees
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
Hello,
I have a Chondroplasty and Lateral Release scheduled for March 25th, for both knees at the same time. Any of you had both knees done at the same time? I chose this because I am healthy, strong, active and would like to not be out of work getting one knee done at a time. My Orthopedic surgeon said he thinks I should be fine getting both done at the same time, and even suggested it. So, just wondering what others have experienced. I am preparing for pain, discomfort and rehab already.
I have been dealing with both my knees swelling, grinding clicking etc for over 14 years, and have had PT, the joint drained several times etc. I get A LOT of swelling with this. So much so, doctors have tested me for Rheumatoid and Lupus several times in the past. But, now it's to the point where I need to use a cane to get up and down from sitting, as well as to use stairs. I'm only 44 years old and have been very active my whole life.
Had an MRI done last week and found the cartilage in both is significant damaged now and both patellas have significant tilt and ride laterally on the bone.
Any advice out there?
right ACL removal 7/1/2014
bilateral Chondroplasty 3/25/2014
Chondromalacia
PFPS
lateral meniscus deterioration
Structurally lateral tracking patellas
Mucoid ACL degneration and disintegration 7/2014
Fulkerson TTT and lateral release- bilateral (pending)

Offline JTB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Chondroplasty and Lateral Release scheduled for Both Knees
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Are you in the States? Go to a learning hospital with your images etc. and get at least one second opinion.

Have you ever tried prolonged rest? Several months of easy walking, pool work, whatever it takes to move without pain and not doing the activities that irritate your knees, including PT, work, etc.?

Check out Doug Kelsey's website, he has some interesting ideas about cartilage gone bad.

Good luck

Bike racer electing sport-med scope Jan 2011 for patella catch: shave patella, MFC and trochlea (with sneaky lateral release) Grade 3 findings. @ 1 year, CRPS, pain inhibition, muscle atrophy, osteopenia, sudden bilateral chondromalacia. in free-fall 2 1/2 years.
Today on Strava riding well.

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Chondroplasty and Lateral Release scheduled for Both Knees
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
I second what JTB says!!  Everyone wants a quick fix but sometimes the fix is worse than the injury.