Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!  (Read 3141 times)

Offline ligamentocruzadoanterior

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
hermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:48 AM »

Hello, I am from Venezuela, I tore my ACL in a game of Football, I was operated on two weeks ago, my doctor said it would use the technique of patellar tendon, but the awakening from anesthesia said use the technique of "thermal shrinkage" because the ligament was torn but very little ... I've never heard of this technique ... this is good technique?, some of you have operated with this technique?, has good results? took 2 weeks and the doctor tested my knee and it showed stable ... anyway those are my questions this technique of "thermal Shrinkage" is good? they know it?

Offline dugz one

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: hermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
i have never heard of such a thing. i wanna know now what that means!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: hermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
thermal shrinkage is a technique where they trim the frayed bits of a partly damaged, but mostly intact ligament with play in it, then use an electrocautery wand to heat the acl tissues to cause them to shrink and tighten up, and it takes the slack out of a mostly intact ligament.

this only works if the acl has a minor tear which has resulted in some play in the joint, and the ligament is grossly intact. (like more than half of it is still there, don't know the percentage cutoff for repair vs replace)

source - had this done once years ago.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.