Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: thermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!  (Read 1122 times)

Offline ligamentocruzadoanterior

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
thermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »
Hello, I am from Venezuela, I tore my ACL in a game of Football, I was operated on two weeks ago, my doctor said it would use the technique of patellar tendon, but the awakening from anesthesia said use the technique of "thermal shrinkage" because the ligament was torn but very little ... I've never heard of this technique ... this is good technique?, some of you have operated with this technique?, has good results? took 2 weeks and the doctor tested my knee and it showed stable ... anyway those are my questions this technique of "thermal Shrinkage" is good? they know it?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: thermal shrinkage in ACL... HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:20:16 AM »
If you have a minor partial acl tear with some joint laxity, this can be used to take up the slack in the tendon. what they're doing is using a heat wand to cauterize the frayed bits on the tendon and to cause it to tighten up and shrink a bit, and take the play out of the joint. this works when the tear is too minor to justify an acl replacement and there is a bit of joint play.

think what happens when you apply a lighter to heat shrink slid over a wire, the heat shrink shrinks down and tightens up like a new covering on the wire....

hope this explains it a bit. I had mine 14 years and 5 surgeries ago...
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.