Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: constant leg cramping after microfracture knee surgery.  (Read 1174 times)

Offline guinnessandme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
constant leg cramping after microfracture knee surgery.
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:56:27 AM »
One week ago I had microfracture knee surgery (arthroscopically) and after the first night, I began to get constant cramping in my calf which is located closer to the back of the knee. I have been taking 500mg of tylenol every few hours to control the pain. Massaging it doesn't make the pain go away. I have gotten a ultrasound for DVT and it was normal.

I am on crutches for one month but the pain isn't even in the knee but rather in my calf cramping.

I have read a lot of things but still don't know what is causing it and how to get rid of it.
I have tried Potassium and Magnesium - dr thought maybe my electrolytes were off from the surgery but that hasn't helped.

femoral trochlea grade 4 (2 holes found)
Microfracture Surgery 1/24/2014
femoral trochlea grade 4

Offline guinnessandme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: constant leg cramping after microfracture knee surgery.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »
I wanted to follow up on my previous post from 2/3/2014 complaining of calf cramping.
Not too long after that I started to experience the pain run up to my inner thigh and to my groin area.  I knew something wasn't right but the dr kept shaking his head in disbelief that it could be a blood clot since my 1st ultrasound came out negative.  He was trying to contact my endocrinologist (on levothyroxine for throidectomy (cancer) 2 years ago) could be causing the cramping.  While he was trying to connect I went back to get a 2nd ultrasound and blood work for electrolyte, iron, blood work.  It turned out that I did have a blood clot.  A DVT in the femoral vein. 

They wanted me to be admitted because of the severity of my pain (especially at night) but was released and taking lovenox and warfarin.  Lovenox: self administered shots to my stomach twice a day.  Warfarin:  1 pill a day.  Will be doing this for 4-5 days to try to stop the clot from reaching my lungs.

This is really scary and I wanted to post an update that taking a 2nd look is always better than ignoring it.
I was massaging my legs extremely hard for hours a day since finding out my 1st ultrasound was normal but if I continued to do this my blood clot could have broke off and would have had a pulmonary embolism.

Good luck everyone.  After my first lovenox injection my cramping has reduced.  Waking up about twice in a night to take some tylonol but nothing like how it was before. 

Previous Post:
One week ago I had microfracture knee surgery (arthroscopically) and after the first night, I began to get constant cramping in my calf which is located closer to the back of the knee. I have been taking 500mg of tylenol every few hours to control the pain. Massaging it doesn't make the pain go away. I have gotten a ultrasound for DVT and it was normal.

I am on crutches for one month but the pain isn't even in the knee but rather in my calf cramping.

I have read a lot of things but still don't know what is causing it and how to get rid of it.
I have tried Potassium and Magnesium - dr thought maybe my electrolytes were off from the surgery but that hasn't helped.

femoral trochlea grade 4 (2 holes found)
Microfracture Surgery 1/24/2014
femoral trochlea grade 4