Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Denovo NT: Cartilage repair for defect behind patella, left knee.  (Read 11617 times)

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Denovo NT: Cartilage repair for defect behind patella, left knee.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 04:33:11 AM »
Day 18:
I have finally achieve my doc's goal for the CPM machine, 110 degrees!!! I also walk longer without crutches and today I even went down and up 3 flights of stairs. Always wearing my knee brace which makes for an awkward situation.

Offline hank_04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
Im about to have the same procedure done for my right knee. Did you have the tibial tubercle osteotomy? My surgeon is planning to do this so it will lower the pressure of the knee cap. Anythings that you wish you had at home that would make things easier for you?

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
@hank_04:  I didn't have any other surgery besides the Denovo NT. Nothing else was done other than this procedure. Your doc probably has good reasons to do that extra procedure for you. One thing I wish I had ready was a very comfortable reclining chair. I underestimated how uncomfortable this knee brace actually is.

Day 19: My left leg is still weak and my quads are still not responding. I continue to do CPM up to 110 degrees so as to not force the issue. The only pain I feel is above 90 degrees bend.

Day 20: I finally drove my car today to a local pub for some food and cider with my significant other. Getting in and out of the car is a challenge because the quads are not responding so I can't lift the weight of my leg. Driving was simple because I have an automatic car. The pain while sitting was very small. I'm still doing CPM for 6 hours a day to 110 degrees.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »
Day 21:
I'm walking a lot more comfortable now always with the knee brace. The pain while bending the knee in the CPM machine is still there. The scar is becoming to look a lot less inflamed.

Day 22: I'm officially 3 weeks since surgery. Leg is feeling a lot stronger whenever I walk. I still have CPM machine at my house, I think tomorrow will be the last day. I will also talk to my surgeon tomorrow, I will definitely ask him when I can remove this brace and when I can start PT. Hopefully, he'll give me pictures too so that I can share. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Meniscus Boy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
Hello
My friend
How long did the doctor tell you until you can run and you're at 100%?

I've heard varying stories

I just wanted to verify, that you had a focal defect of the medial patellar facet?

It was not all the way through correct?

What was the size of the defect anyways?

Wishing you the best!

Meniscus boy-

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
@Meniscus Boy/Kevin

1. The doctor expects me to be doing normal physical activity in 6 months. However, he says it varies person to person. For some it takes 1 year others take 1.5 years. As far as running, I don't know. I didn't ask him that because I don't personally run. My passion is hiking.

2. Yes my MRI diagnosis stated that I had a "large tear of the femoral patellar articular cartilage involving the medial facet with the tear extending to lateral half of the medial facet".

3. Not all the way through.

4. I do not know the exact size. The MRI doesn't say. I don't remember what the doctor said either.
Thanks for the wishes.

Day 23:
So I went to see my doctor today and he thinks my incision has healed very well and has told me to stop CPM and start PT next week. He also has given me permission to bend the knee when sitting and sleep without the brace  :) :D ;D I'm still supposed to have my knee brace on whenever I walk about.

Day 24:
The quads are starting to respond. I can lift my left leg on its own a few centimeters. There is some pain when I'm sitting down with bend knee, but nothing too harsh.

P.S. I don't have pictures of surgery yet.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Day 25:
I'm recovering just fine. I'm still walking with the knee brace. The quads are still not responding.

Day 26:
The doctor told me to slide my left leg throug a smooth surface so as to imitate the CPM movement. I can't bend the knee on it's own more than ~100 degrees. There is pain when I slide the knee but nothing too harsh.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »
Day 27: Nothing new to report. Just waiting on my first PT appointment due tomorrow.

Day 28: Officially 4 weeks post op. Today was my first PT session. The exercises  that they gave me were all of them painful and none was weight bearing. The PT person had me on the stim machine so as to help my quads start to fire. He had me to leg raises which I was gladly surprised to know that I was able to do 20 of them. PT guy helped me get started but I was able to do leg raises on my own. The doctor told me that I'll be wearing the knee brace whenever I walk for at least the next 4 weeks  :(  :'(

P.S.
I've uploaded a picture of my surgery. You can see the size of the Denovo NT graft which does not look like the rest of my cartilage. It's in the first post.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Day 29: Pain in the whole knee area at rest is virtually non-existent. When I'm doing my PT exercises it does hurt quite significant especially when doing leg raises. I actually did leg raises today without anyone's help. My knee does not bend more than ~92 degrees so I definitely need to work on that.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:10 AM »
Day 30:
Today at PT I actually was able to do a stationary bike for 10 minutes!!! The first 10 revolutions or so did hurt quite a bit but the PT fellow says it's due to stiffness. My leg raises are getting much easier but they are still the most painful of all the PT exercises. I also took a shower today without any assistance.  :D 8) :)

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
Day 31:
So today is officially 1 month post surgery. Although the process of recovery seems very slow to me (I don't have any previous experience to compare) I feel that pretty soon my leg will be normal again. I continue to do PT exercise at home twice a day. I'm still wearing the knee brace whenever I walk about.

P.S. Since it's been 1 month of almost daily updates, I'll start to update less frequently. When significant progress is made or when setbacks occur. Or maybe weekly... 8)

Offline Meniscus Boy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »
Hey there,
Sounds like you're doing well

Glad to hear your progress is going so quickly

Most people need about 6-12 months to totally e back to normal, though I guess it also depends on the size f the defect filled in etc

Keep up with the updates as I have an unfortunate feeling that I might be needing to get this done sometime in the near future

Take care

Meniscus boy

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Takes time, sometimes long months before you gain back ROM, strength and speed reaction.

However don't over force it, you don't want to break the graft, it takes time to heal...

ROM will come back in time, the major secret is to hold he leg bent for longer periods without over forcing it... that way the tendons will stretch back.

But since your problem is with the patella go slow with it! You are young and you have time... no point in risking it all...

Offline leftcart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I am looking at a similar operation.  I've held off for 5 years now able to get by but a recent blow up may be the final straw.  I can't seem to get relief from the pain at all now.  Old MRI showed cartilage damage so most likely either Microfracture or Denovo to fix and I guess I am looking at similar recovery.  Updated MRI will tell soon.  Can you tell me what you did the first two weeks post op?  My best understanding is that I have to lay in bed 24 hrs for the better part of 10 days or more strapped to the CPM machine.  Is that correct?
 :( 

Thanks!

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »
@MDAL
Thanks for the advice.

@Leftcart
You can read on the diary on this thread what I did the first 10 days post op.
You don't have to lay in bed for all 24hrs but due to pain and discomfort you're probably going to be resting. You'll probably be in CPM machine for about 8 hours of each day.
Always leave surgery as last resort, hopefully you can heal as you did in the past without having to go through surgery.